York pump goodies!

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I want to start out by saying i take no credit for this at all. hesutton is the one that showed me this so all Thanks goes to him! I just like to document things ;p

All you york people out there know that checking the oil in one is a pain. In my case its even worse due to where i have it mounted and the intercooler pipe that runs right across it. So here is a couple pics of the same thing hesutton did to his to make checking the oil no more than looking at the side of the pump :) For those of you that have them mounted on their side or at an angle, looks like you are still stuck with the dipstick method :)

The york manual HERE gives different oz of oil and the height level in inches of the oil. From what i have been reading the 12 - 14 floz seems to be the winner for people using them as an air pump. 14 oz of fluid sits 1 11/16in. On my gauge just a little below half would be 14oz and a little over half would be 16oz. That way if i ever forget the check the thing and it drops below the bubble i know i still have plenty of oil in it to run. You can run as little as 6oz of oil in these. Now thats as an original a/c so i wouldn't run it that low as an air pump. My sight glass came from grainger It is a 1/2 NPT. The tap called for a 23/32 drill bit. After drilling and tapping the hole i stuck my finger down in there and felt a good amount of shaving. The bottom plate was leaking anyway and the gasket was rock hard! So for safe measure i pulled the bottom off and made sure it was 100% clean. Made a new gasket for it and put her back together.

A couple pics of the inside. Cute little pistons ;p

You must be registered for see images attach

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple pics of the inside. Cute little pistons ;p

"Cute". Thats no kinda talk for someone who drives a cummins powered ford, thats chevy owner talk. lol
Seriously though, nice mod for checking the oil on the york.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you even get your dipstick out? Ive tried undoing that bolt so many times and all it seems to want to do is round. Ive given up on it, but it makes all kinds of bad noises so its got to be a little low.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
well the bolt is just a bolt that goes into the case. You have to actually make a dip stick out of a coat hanger or similar and use that to measure the oil level. If you take a look at the second picture i have posted. Look at the bottom and top walls and toward the pistons see the little holes. That where the fills are and where you stick the "dip stick" in. The making of the dip stick in the york manual on the same page as the one posted above.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now thats a great way to upgrade an oil system by using an age old method thats been around for many years. A generating station I worked at for 10 years had some old equiptment that was built around 1900. I was looking at how the gesr box oiled the shafts and gears. A pump pushed oil up to the channel that ran around the top of the case. Then in the river of oil was several metal "wicks" that would draw oil to a bearing or gear shaft. there it would drip off where it was needed. One simple pump to push oil to a "central" oil river and then some way to get it to drip where it was needed. Kinda neet idea....:sly

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next time you drill something like thats shaving sensitive cover the bit in grease. you'll have to stop and clean it often, but it will capture most all of the shavings.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
grease was used. I even filled the case with oil so as i kept making a bigger and bigger hole the oil would spill out and kinda push some of the metal out. After working my way slowly up to 23/32 I flushed the case with oil twice. Reached my finger in there and felt some grit at the bottom. Im the type of person that if something is to haunt me at night while i lay there thinking i should of pulled it apart and cleaned it....no no no it will be fine...no i should of pulled it apart. I just take the extra time the first time so i dont have to do it again :)....and i sleep better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat