yet another glow plug question

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is the wait to start light supposed to be on? Mine is on maybe 5 seconds or so at mid-30s outside temp. Do the plugs continue to heat if you wait longer (lots of clikin' going on during that time in my truck)? I am going to replace the plugs this week. And two new batteries as mine are 9 years old and have been run down quite a bit due to hard starts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It should stay on for around 8 seconds. Sounds like you have some burned out plugs. If the batteries are running down because your cranking so long then you probably need a rebuilt starter too. They can only crank for 15 seconds and then you let them rest for 5 minutes to cool down. Otherwise they smoke when they burn up the windings.. We cal it letting out the trapped smoke..

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I timed it: light on 18 seconds at 35 degrees for the first time only and after that only a few seconds on each cycle. I don't crank too long, only a few seconds and always rest in between (but not five minutes!). Four tries until she fired. Going to let my INDY put them in as he seems savvy to issues with broken tips. Curious to see what is in there and I have no idea how old, could be original as it is a Cali truck. I have had it for 6 years. I supplied him the proper Berus which I bought online. Will throw him the business for 2 new Interstates. Those are going to cost me so I hope he treats me OK on the plug installation and doesn't f**k it up!

Reaction score
Multiple clicks isn't supposed to happen, though it's odd that your light stays on for a bit and then clicks (as I understand your post). New GPs should do the trick. Also, when mine had crapped GPs, rather than crank it a few times, I seemed to have good luck with cycling the GPs a few times instead. Just a thought.

Mike

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear when I cycle the plugs, after the light goes out that is when I get the audible clicking, enough to make the voltage gauge flicker. Part of my original question is when this clicking is going on, are the plugs continuing to heat? Or let me ask another way, if I want to apply multiple cycles (like I do on my Benz when it is super cold and it has been sitting for days) do I cycle just until the light goes out and repeat? Are the plugs heating only when the light is on?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the clicking is normal and yes they are intermittently heating trying to stay hot but not so hot they blow

the amount of time to heat up varies based upon temp and condition of the system but if it stays on that long i wouldnt think you have bad plugs, the plugs will normally short cycle when there are bad connections or plugs. check the plugs with a multimeter or test light, should be able to disconnect the wires and touch the tip of the plug without the wire touching it and get battery voltage through the plug, buy yourself some non conductive electrical grease, and a small wire brush, make sure all connections are clean and greased upon reassymbly.

I just replaced two plugs the other day. That is the only 2 that have burned out in the 10 years this truck has been in the family. when I relplaced I only cleaned and greased the ones I replaced and it short cycled. removed wires and cleaned and greased the rest of the system and all is well now. I have had the glow plugs start messing up aboout three other times and all of those times the plugs tested god and worked great once connections were clean and tight