yet another e4od issue

mctwisty

Reaction score
so, i got my engine together, and have put about 700 miles on it. love the truck! Banks turbo is ragged, blowing oil, and i have a mystery fuel leak, but i wouldn't trade this truck to save my life!
i am, however, having some trans issues, and have searched high and low for answers. Park is park, reverse is reverse, but overdrive is rarely overdrive- its usually first, unless i keep upward pressure on the shifter, and can find the 'sweet spot', and that's ever changing. when i first got it going, park was hard to find, only wanted to start sometimes, so i bought a shift tube kit. while installing, i found the infamous torx screws loose, but replaced the assembly anyway. that had no effect on OD issue, but fixed park and starting, predictably. then, a couple of weeks ago, my shift cable sleeving let go, and i discovered that even manually, at the trans, shifting to what should be the OD detent gave me only first. replaced the cable, and of course, no change. so, my question is, can the mlps cause this issue? the trans shifts flawlessly, so long as i can find the correct amount of pressure to put upwards on the lever, ive adjusted the cable the way ford wants me to, to no avail, and all other gears are dead center, where they should be expected to function. I'm at a loss here, and a trans shop isn't an option. thanks in advance!

mctwisty

Reaction score
apologies, what i meant was, it won't shift out of first when put in drive, not overdrive. brain fart.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it sounds like the MLPS is bad which is a common problem , yes. If you have to hold the shifter for it to switch gears, it sounds like a contact problem inside the MLPS.. My .02

mctwisty

Reaction score
just so it's not open ended, the MLPS completely fixed it, wired the switch in the same order as it came apart, shifts buttery smooth, like a brand new truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle