WTB: ICP Sensor for a '96 PSD....

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I am looking to find an ICP sensor for my '96 PSD - If someone happens to have one lying around and in the way.... Just a shot in the dark....

Thanks Guys!

Hoss....

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance ....

What is an ICP sensor and where is it located ????

Jim

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Yep. It is an Injector Control Pressure sensor. It is located towards the drivers side of the fuel filter housing. Down in the valley on the drivers head I believe. It has a wire clip on connection like a PSD injector does. I can see if I can find a pictire. Or two....

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    109.6 KB · Views: 2
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PSDicpsensor1.jpg
    PSDicpsensor1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3
  • engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I don't think the Injector Pressure Regulator valve (IPR) and the Injector Control Pressure Sensor (ICP) are anywhere near the same thing. I don't think you can take the ICP apart and clean it. It is a sensor. That when there is oil coming out the top of the sensor thru the wires. It is shot. No ifs, ands or buts.... My sensor is shot and I have an absolute no start.... Although I may be wrong... It most certainly be the first time - if I am..... lol..... Parked it in the driveway one afternoon and had just completed a 300 mile round trip and all was great. Went out the next day and absolute no start. Switched IDM, Checked HPOP oil, did everything.... The Genesis EVO points to the ICP sensor.... Showed fuel pressures above 3700psi IIRC and that is why it won't start. The computer will not allow it to fuel because of the fuel pressures being that high. I need to get it changed and back on the road. It is really somewhat parked for the winter anyhow but, I need it mobil again to move it around and out of the way. My gooseneck is hooked to it and I want to unhook it too....

AFAIK.....

Not trying to be a butt there oldbull.... So don't take it that way please.... And BTW - Thanks for the input - I do appreciate it....

And I most definitely could be wrong too....

Here is what I found:

The picture on the top is the IPR valve... (which is rebuildable)

The picture on the bottom is the ICP Sensor... (which is not rebuildable)

And they are two different things.... I think....

Google brought them up in the same search and one lead called the top one the ICP but, that was it and they are totally different looking and don't hook up in the same spot.... IDK....

I was just hoping someone had one lying around that I could change it with and see what the result was....

Hoss....

Attachments

• PSDicpSensor.jpg
    PSDicpSensor.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PSDiprvalve.jpg
    PSDiprvalve.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i got one on the truck im parting out. not sure what its worth or if its any good. make me an offer

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a butt there oldbull.... So don't take it that way please.... And BTW - Thanks for the input - I do appreciate it....

No offense taken.

Should have re-read my post after leaving it for awhile. Your correct IPR and ICP are different.

I've got both as spares behind the seat. Beginning to feel like icanfixall.:eek:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really should be in the PSD forum.

Maybe you can use some of this info to troubleshoot the ICP.

ICP: Injection Control Pressure sensor

Feedback input; The PCM monitors the high pressure oil system to determine if it needs to be
increased if load demand increases. It also uses this to stabilize idle speed. volts in,
1.0volt@580psi, 3.22volts@2520psi. PID: ICP (pressure), ICP V (voltage)
ICP--Injection Control Pressure--and RPM--CaMshaft Position Sensor: After 3 minutes at 3300
RPM, ICP pressure should be below 1400psi for Federal, 1250psi for California Emmisions,
and 1500psi for 99.5. At idle, ICP should be 550-700psi for Federal, 400-600 for California
and stable.
ICP--Injection Control Pressure--IPR--Injection Pressure Regulator--and MFDES--Mass Fuel
Desired: ICP should rise as IPR duty cyle increases; MFDES and IPR should rise at the same
rate as load and/or demand increases (actual readings may not match); ie. ICP=500psi,
IPR=12%, MFDES=10MG @500 RPM; ICP=900psi, IPR=22%, MFDES=20MG
@1800RPM/cruise; ICP=1800psi, IPR=50%, MFDES=40MG @3000RPM/hard accel.
ICP--Injection Control Pressure--and ICP V--ICP Voltage: ICP should read 0psi, ICP V should
read 0.20-0.25 volts, Key On Engine Off.
AP: Accelerator Pedal position sensor

Load/demand input; PCM uses this to determine mass fuel desired, adjusts fuel delivery
through IPR duty cycle and fuel pulse width and injection timing; 5 volts in, 0.5-0.7 volts at idle,
4.5 volts at WOT. PID: AP
IVS:Idle Validation Switch
Strategy input; On-off switch that the PCM uses to identify required operating mode; idle or
power. 0 volts at idle, 12 volts off idle. PID: IVS (off/on)
IPR: Injection Pressure Regulator
Output; The PCM controls the high pressure oil system by varying the duty cycle of the IPR.
The IPR controls the oil bypass circuit of the high pressure pump. 0%=full return to sump
(open valve), 100%=full flow to injectors (closed valve). The PCM monitors the system with the
ICP input. The PCM can control fuel delivery to the injectors by increasing the IPR duty cycle
which increases fule pressure through the injector nozzels. PID: IPR (% of duty cycle), MFDES
Mass Fuel Desired an internal PCM calculation based on load demand (MG)

Check this also.

....It recieves a 5 volt reference on the Brown/White ---- ground circuit on the Black/White wire. It also sends a .9 volt to 4.5 volt signal on the Green/White wire to the PCM to indicate throttle position.

The IVS is a normally closed switch. It has 2 wires, 1 is a Brown, a fused battery voltage wire , the other is Red/Orange and goes to the PCM to confirm pedal position. When the pedal is in the idle position the Brown wire at the IVS is battery voltage and the Red/Orange wire is 0 volts.

As pedal travel
increases to approximately 1.3 volts as indicated on the Green/White wire at the AP sensor[or TPS], the voltage on the Red/Orange wire should increase to battery voltage to indicate acceleration.