Wrench for Tightening Injection Pump Nuts

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of how they modified their wrench to get to the injection pump nuts? I see the one offered by Motorcraft Special Service Tools, but it is only a drawing and it is also $52.

http://fordspecialtools.com/Detail.aspx?id=849

I think I borrowed a crowsfoot to get the IP loose, but now I'm wondering if there is a better way to tighten it up.

Also, the new pump (baby moose) went back in and is about a dimes thickness toward the passenger side. I thought I remembered reading that is about 3 degrees advanced. Does that sound correct until I can get it timed with a meter?

Thanks for any advice,
Archie Taylor

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford (OTC) wrench works great on some trucks. Not so much on others. I actually use two different ones that I've modified. No one wrench will work on all trucks equally due to differences in plumbing, wiring, accesories, turbos, etc...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Archie, the timing marks at this point are only a rough gestimation for your new pump. The original marks were set by the factory after they timed it and each pump is gonna time differently. Ya really need to get it timed properly.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been able to get all the pump bolts using a regular wrench with the box end ground down a little thinner, just so it can fit between the pump body and the bolt head on the drivers side bolt. The other 2 are fairly easy to reach, and I am working on a van, where you can either see what you want to turn, or get your hand on it, but never both at the same time. I am sure however that the special wrench would be an improvment...
JwS

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I made my own. Got a cheap china special, heated it up and bent it. I had to bend it a couple of times to get it right and by no means is it perfect, but it got the job done. All you need is a vice, a mapp torch, a 2 dollar wrench and a pipe to slip over the end to bend it

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been able to get all the pump bolts using a regular wrench with the box end ground down a little thinner, just so it can fit between the pump body and the bolt head on the drivers side bolt.
Same here, only I chopped the open end off cause it was catching on either the #1 return line or the cold-start circuit harness (basically if it cleared one it'd hang up on the other). No bending needed as it clears everything perfect now.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
ATaylor, Here are my pics, I liked the HF wrench set because it gave me the other four wrenches in case I ever had another tight spot that needed a different size. I did not have to grind mine as much as Brandon did, not sure why :dunno I think Mel said once that these trucks are all a little bit different. Mine is .19" width and .11" from the inside to the outside. I just started grinding and testing it on my IP until it fit real nice.
John

Attachments

• wrench 001.JPG
    wrench 001.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 40
  • wrench 004.JPG
    wrench 004.JPG
    472.1 KB · Views: 38

whenry912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have a weird wrench set, because my regular old 9/16 open end/box works just fine...:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online