Wow...suddenly I'm a diesel guru..NOT

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok in two days...two different people have stopped by and chewed the fat and bent my ear about their diesels...

All thanks to OB, I'm becoming quite edumacated on these har engines...LOL and best of all, I think I am going to be getting work soon doing mild services....timing, return lines etc...just what I wanted to do.

Start a nice little cottage industry specializing in IDI engines.

All I can say is the wealth of info and diversity of how it's provided here is second to none!

Anyway, with being off work due to my stroke, this is right up my alley for some cash:sly jobs now n then.

Oh ya and I'm selling used parts...LOL too now. My plethora is paying off and the wifey has now an understanding of my HOARDING Addiction to all things diesel.

Now to get me that thar pump turning tool and pump wrench, an injector seat tool, some glow plug removers and last of all...POP tester...or make one! That should be enough to start with anyhow!

Thanks OB for being there and learning me so much all these years!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See how life imitates art sometimes.:sly... That wrench Jason makes is the cats ass for turning these pumps. If any of you guys that have used these wrenches in my timing meter rental program please chime in on how well it worked for you. BTW anyone attempting to turn these pumps and finds that its almost impossible to do just loosen as many injector lines as you can easily reach at the pump. That takes some twisting torque out of the lines and makes it so much easier to turn. When you have made the timing adjustment tighten the lines up and your all set again. See how you can now work on others rigs because of all the help offered here. Really glad things are looking good for you again. Heres to the future and what it holds for you...:cheers:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice when a hobby can become part (or all of) your work. But, sometimes that can be a curse as well. :D

Glad to know the IDI is starting to pay you back........literally.LOL Get well soon.

Heath

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
I know that between here and BSin with the diesel mechanics at my work ive learned a ton even though the mechanics are all die hard cummins guys.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I would trust the accumulated knowledge base HERE as opposed to what anyone else says--especially if they say something different from what is posted here.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's at all possible, go to a Ford dealershipand see if you can get any of there old manuals on these diesels, most don't work on these anymore, even a local bus transportation line that had the Ford diesel's. 89 - 90 manuals would be great, not much changes over the years. Might even find some on ebay cheap. I caution you to not work on the PSD's, unless you have a good code reader (scanner) like an AutoEnginuity with Ford Enhanced and know how to use it, there not cheap, about $400 US.

Good Luck on your endeavors.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's at all possible, go to a Ford dealershipand see if you can get any of there old manuals on these diesels, most don't work on these anymore, even a local bus transportation line that had the Ford diesel's. 89 - 90 manuals would be great, not much changes over the years. Might even find some on ebay cheap.
You mean something like these here? :sly

You must be registered for see images attach

Knowledge is power...and between this site, those manuals and my skills as a mechanic, I am sure myself and others here are and have been empowered to do more than that which they knew they could and that's what this is about....

This will take time to acquire more tools needed though for now basic stuff I have oh hell ya!...it's the specialized stuff I gotta get...and only if I really see this as viable to make enough to pay for the tools...

I caution you to not work on the PSD's, unless you have a good code reader (scanner) like an AutoEnginuity with Ford Enhanced and know how to use it, there not cheap, about $400 US.
PSD WHATS THAT....PRETTY ****** DIESEL?:rotflmao NOPE WON'T TOUCH EM DON'T KNOW NUTHIN BOUT EM...DON'T WANNA LEARN BOUT EM EITHER ...NUFF SAID:backoff

Good Luck on your endeavors.

Thanks...

I only know of one fellow whom knows anything about these trucks a young friend and hes good, but lacks some of the specialized stuff too...he has a nice 6.9 with banks turbo, is a HD mechanic so he's in the know! He has helped me a couple times.

All in all I called a few shops...no one knows...so it's time to cater to these trucks locally!:thumbsup:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of your fellow countryman "cdnsarguy" in Neepawa Manitoba on the TDS is very knowledgable about these IDI's. He has one hell'va gallery of info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online