Wounded but still doing it's job.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got a call from my friend that his mothers 96 Z28 needed a tow. We went to pick up my flatbed and as soon as I started rolling with the trailer there was a loud repetitive squeaking noise. We assumed it was the trailer since that was the only thing that had changed. After a few stops and some experimenting we found out it only made the noise accelerating. Let off the throttle and noise disappears. It was even worse after we loaded the car onto the trailer. Once the car and trailer were off the truck, the noise went away. I am positive it was a u-joint or the carrier bearing as my buddy walked along side the truck while it made the noise. I went and picked up 3 new u-joints and a carrier bearing since it's all original with 129k. I'll put them in if the weather gets better this week. I like parts that warn you before they go out. LOL

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things that make noise before granading are the best ;Sweet.

My money is on the carrier bearing, just changed mine a couple summers ago after it "warned me" it was failing.

1994IDI

Reaction score
That was very considerate of it. LOL Glad it was kind enough to warn you before leaving you stranded.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have a job ahead of you. That carrier bearing is pressed on tight. I used to do my u-joints but now I take the shaft to a driveline specialty shop. They do a better job faster than I can plus they balance it free. Been doing business there for many years now....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a midship bearing recently, and it WAS a pain but not too bad. The best way to get the old one off, is to cut it off. Just keep hacking at the thing until you get it broken down to the center collar, and then just use a whizzer wheel to cut it, being carefull not to scratch the shaft. Once it is cut, use the old collar with a hammer and punch to set the new bearing on.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a job ahead of you. That carrier bearing is pressed on tight. I used to do my u-joints but now I take the shaft to a driveline specialty shop. They do a better job faster than I can plus they balance it free. Been doing business there for many years now....
Gotta agree with Gary on this one. I replaced my carrier bearing in 2002 because the rubber was about done for. I took the front part of the driveshaft into a machine shop, and for $20 or so, they pulled the old carrier bearing off and pressed the new one on. Been fine for 8 years now ;Sweet while I generally prefer to do my own work, sometimes with stuff like that, it's worth the $$ to not have to hassle with it...

JMHO :angel:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I did a midship bearing recently, and it WAS a pain but not too bad. The best way to get the old one off, is to cut it off. Just keep hacking at the thing until you get it broken down to the center collar, and then just use a whizzer wheel to cut it, being carefull not to scratch the shaft. Once it is cut, use the old collar with a hammer and punch to set the new bearing on.

That's how I did the carrier bearing on my 1984 S10 long box. It went together without a problem.

I may have to do the one in my F250...there is a lot of movement in the rubber bushing, but the bearing itself is just fine.

Too bad one couldn't put a 90* grease fitting in it to extend bearing life and keep the crud out of it.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I slipped my old one off with a little persuasion from a punch and 16 oz. hammer. The new one pretty much slipped right on with a few little taps. It was a lot easier then I thought it was going to be.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
A little sanding of the shaft.....gets your minds out of the gutter ;Really....and spray it with a little motor oil or something of equal slipperyness...NOT KY JELLY!!!!!.....it will save you some headaches!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Warm up the new bearing to no hotter than 225 degrees and it will fall in place. Any hotter will hurt the bearing material. The larger the diameter the larger the clearances grow. And just the opposite is true being the smaller the diameter the less the diameter grows making for a harder install. Learned this at work once. Had to install a bearing race that was 14 inches wide by 18 inch diameter. Heated it up to 225 degrees and it had grown to 17 thousands oversize. It fit easily to the shaft and had to be secured so it would walk off the placement as it cooled....:sly

Butcherman

Reaction score
Warm up the new bearing to no hotter than 225 degrees and it will fall in place. Any hotter will hurt the bearing material. The larger the diameter the larger the clearances grow. And just the opposite is true being the smaller the diameter the less the diameter grows making for a harder install. Learned this at work once. Had to install a bearing race that was 14 inches wide by 18 inch diameter. Heated it up to 225 degrees and it had grown to 17 thousands oversize. It fit easily to the shaft and had to be secured so it would walk off the placement as it cooled....:sly

That is how we installed new ring gears on flywheels when I worked at a Toyota dealer.Heat the ring gear with a torch and it would usually fall right on.;Sweet

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot myself, I'll change the u-joints at least and try the carrier bearing. I'll most likely take it in to get balanced after I am done and have the carrier bearing done if I can't do it myself. I've never had to change one before, so a learning oppurtunity is at hand.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just mark the drive shaft fwd and aft pieces before you take them apart. That way you can align them before you put back together. There won't be a need to rebalance.

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its good to know how to change your joints and carrier,sometimes it easy sometimes I struggle, but before you get your hands dirty check this out. Last week I am at the folks house and pops says his CJ6 is making noise and wants me to check his u-joints for him, sure enough one of the rears is toast so I pull the drive line so when he goes to napa we get the right ones . Well when I get out into the light I see that the slip yoke is broken and he is lucky to have driven into the garage that way after driving who knows how far. Upon this info I decided against the trip to napa and I sent him and mom to a nearby shop in Everett WA that has done me right in the past called Drivelines NW . They must love my dad like I do because because they hooked him up with the slip yoke and two new u-joints installed onto his driveline and he paid them $68 , he got back home and showed m the receipt because he felt like it was the best deal ever.Granted that this driveline is the smallest one I have ever got my hands on.And they offered to balance it for another $55 time will tell if it needs it , he has not driven it yet to see.
nate

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Too bad one couldn't put a 90* grease fitting in it to extend bearing life and keep the crud out of it.

In most cases you can take a grease needle and poke it in around the edge of the bearing seal and pump the carrier bearing full of new grease and extend it's life.