Would an electric turbine work as a turbo?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I think the filter, no matter how big or clean, represents a resistance to air flow that causes the air pressure at the intake cycle in each cylinder to be less than 1 ATM in our IDI engines. My idea about the blower in line is just to off set that by providing a strong flow of air. Even removing the soup bowl and just putting a plate on top of the filter and just using the bottom of the soup bowl after cutting the side (like the muscle car had their air filter set-up) would be an improvement because the bends and size of the duct add restrictions to air flow too.
Thanks,
Burt.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I think the filter, no matter how big or clean, represents a resistance to air flow that causes the air pressure at the intake cycle in each cylinder to be less than 1 ATM in our IDI engines.

true, but unless it can keep ahead of what the engine is pulling airflow wise it will be a restriction.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The restriction the filter makes is stronger than most any fan that is small. I have a 250 cfm fan around 5" and it might help some BUT it also takes a lot of amps

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
The physics of it don't add up. You HAVE to put energy into ANYTHING that forces induction.
-A super charger gets its energy from the engine, or it TAKES energy from the engine.
-A electric turbine would pull electric energy from the electric system on the truck (batteries which are recharged by the alternator, which is powered by the engine), or it TAKES energy from the engine.
-a turbo gets it energy from the hot exhaust (waste energy from the engine), or it DOES NOT take (very much) energy from the engine.

This is WAY simplified, and a turbo does actually take a small amount of energy away from the engine (the exhaust stroke builds pressure in the manifolds which is forced through the turbo. That pressure makes it harder for the piston to travel up on its exhaust stroke), but it takes most of its energy from the hot exhaust (heat=energy), which was created by the diesel burning.

PZ

P.S. anyone have any ideas on how to use steam and a turbo to make a propelled vehicle? Need to make a steam power car for my advanced energy class.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. anyone have any ideas on how to use steam and a turbo to make a propelled vehicle? Need to make a steam power car for my advanced energy class.

Turbo as in a normal turbocharger? You might want to make a turbine, it would be more useful. A belt driven centrifugal supercharger is just like a regular turbocharger except that there is no hot side, just a compressor hooked up to a pulley. Thus you could possibly convert steam energy into motion in one clean swoop :angel:

How big are we talking here though?

wmoguy

Reaction score
The physics of it don't add up. You HAVE to put energy into ANYTHING that forces induction.
-A super charger gets its energy from the engine, or it TAKES energy from the engine.
-A electric turbine would pull electric energy from the electric system on the truck (batteries which are recharged by the alternator, which is powered by the engine), or it TAKES energy from the engine.
-a turbo gets it energy from the hot exhaust (waste energy from the engine), or it DOES NOT take (very much) energy from the engine.

This is WAY simplified, and a turbo does actually take a small amount of energy away from the engine (the exhaust stroke builds pressure in the manifolds which is forced through the turbo. That pressure makes it harder for the piston to travel up on its exhaust stroke), but it takes most of its energy from the hot exhaust (heat=energy), which was created by the diesel burning.

PZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDzlmNf8cCk&feature=fvwp&NR=1

http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/newsteam/modern22.htm

could do the 2nd one on a smaller scale. I knew a young cat in Denver that took an HT4B and made a turbine out of it running propane. He "lit it" with a gas lawnblower and then introduced the propane at the appropriate time. When he got the right cone on it, it pushed a light single person go-cart around

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I have a few semester until this project rolls around, but I have been working on ideas since the first time I saw them race.

From what I gather.
Must be steam powered
Cannot be steam electric
Can be as big or as small as you like. (most are about two milk crates side x side)

I saw a good one last year that had a home grown turbine set up hooked to a propeller prop for remote-control air plane. I was thinking similar but use a small turbo since it will be able to take the heat easy, and will be far more efficient than the home made one. (picture a turbo powering a prop, on wheels) The rest would be in heating, re-heating, and piping.

Oh, and one of the last regulations is safety. I wonder how many RPMs I can get the prop moving?? :sly

PZ

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
OK, if I get this right, you want to drive the turbine with steam? So the only limiting factors are the amount and pressure of the steam, right?

A carbon graphite vessel for the water will take lots of heat, you just need to keep it from exploding. So you line it with inconel (which will also take gobs of heat) tubes? And fire it with oxy-acetylene mix, since it is commercially available. I suppose you could try rocket fuel (hydrogen peroxide), but am not familiar with the heat output.

All that's left is to keep the water flowing.

Sounds fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online