Would an electric turbine work as a turbo?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I was looking at my van's soup bowl the other day I changed the air filter and thought that I can modify some parts and put an electric turbine in the duct path to increase the amount of air going through the filter into the intake. The only thing that I'm still trying to find a solution for is a way to adjust air volume/blower speed to sync with engine RPMs.

Has anyone tried something like this before here?

Burt.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
They do sell them on Ebay believe it or not. I've seen a few that "said" they spin at a maximum of 20,000 RPM.....

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
It might almost be too hard to do. Thought about it before, but the reviews of those kits show they are a joke and you are being taken.

If you hold your hand over the intake at idle, it will suck your hand to it! At 2 to 3 thousand RPM, imagine the amount of air that needs to shoved into that engine to produce 5 to 10 psi in there.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I use in my spray booth two kinds of air guns. HVLP is one of them, there is another that has a turbine that moves a good volume of air at only 20 psi through a big pleated hose. I was thinking to modify the turbine shell like an inline turbine with a 12v electric motor powerful enough to rotate the blades to produce a good volume of air. The other thing is to find a way to accelerate the speed at the same time the RPMs are increasing, that's the part that is not very clear in my mind yet.
Now, taking in consideration what you said about how strong is the suction at the intake that gives me an idea about the volume of air I need to move.
I was thinking too that if I manage to move a good volume of air, in case that there is an excess of it at low RPMs if that could create any problems at idle.
How do you guys think an IDI engine reacts to a lean mix (more air than fuel than the normal mix) at low RPMs?
Thanks,
Burt.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
You'd have to use a variable sensor...kinda like another TPS to send a certain amount of voltage to the turbine at a certain throw of the throttle arm....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You would need a large motor I woukd think, with some sort of gear reduction to boost rpms. A turbo has a huge benefit of lots of exhaust gases and heat to spin it.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hear the superchargers that the little 2L cars run pull 5 to 20 hp at full tilt. when you find a 20 hp electric 12volt motor let me know. even a true 5 hp motor should be more than a used turbo that will actually help. i think my 6hp winch motor pulls 400 amps at full load. you are gunna need a BIG alternator to recharge the batteries. o wait that;s gunna need to pull 5hp. and it's gunna be super $$. there is a reason you don't see race cars using electric blowers. the physics don't work.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
diesel doesnt get "lean" The fuel either has enough O2 to burn or it doesnt.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
There is more to it then that. It takes a certain amount of power to spin a turbine to move a ceratain amount of air. Regardless of the pitch vs rotor size, you are eventually going to get past the stoichometric balance which it would be able to work during the RPM band with anything close to the factory size alt. I would be willing to bet it will be with that 'lectric turbo maxed out at idle...maybe.

SWS

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew a guy who was duped into buying a 'electric turbo', he wired a switch to his dash and swore it gave him 30hp. He didn't much like it when I told him a computer fan ain't gonna do jack. Wasn't even a blower motor, which I still doubt would do jack. You need air pressure, not just air speed. many fans aren't meant to pump a ton of air

If you want some easy boost make a cold ram air intake through the grill, cowl, or with a hood scoop nearest the front of the vehicle

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a WIKI
Most diesels are now turbocharged and some are both turbo charged and supercharged. Because diesels do not have fuel in the cylinder before combustion is initiated, more than one bar (100 kPa) of air can be loaded in the cylinder without preignition. A turbocharged engine can produce significantly more power than a naturally aspirated engine of the same configuration, as having more air in the cylinders allows more fuel to be burned and thus more power to be produced. A supercharger is powered mechanically by the engine's crankshaft, while a turbocharger is powered by the engine exhaust, not requiring any mechanical power. Turbocharging can improve the fuel economy[63] of diesel engines by recovering waste heat from the exhaust, increasing the excess air factor, and increasing the ratio of engine output to friction losses. A two-stroke engine does not have an exhaust and intake stroke. These are performed when the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder. Therefore large two-stroke engines have a piston pump, or electrical driven turbo at startup. Smaller two stroke engines (for example, Detroit 71 series) are fitted with turbochargers and a mechanically driven supercharger. Because turbocharged or supercharged engines produce more power for a given engine size as compared to naturally aspirated engines, attention must be paid to the mechanical design of components, lubrication, and cooling to handle the power

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting, but a piston pump would push air by far better than a fan or blower motor... Know of any examples, I'm just curious?

I like the design of the detroits :hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online