Worth $3K?

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2659054305.html

5.9 Cummins in a ford truck - $3500 (Statesville)

1985 ford f350 crew cab dully with a 1985 5.9 turbo cummins in it. Truck been painted. Motor runs good. $3500 for truck and motor or $2200 for the motor and tran. No email. Call 704-402-3520

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

You must be registered for see images

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Hmmm

From the vague information given, I would say it is... However, the craigslist poster leaves doubt. I would go check the vehicle and see if it moves. If it does, use your own judgment. I would be leery of it because of the way the owner posted the ad " x price for truck x price for motor and trans" Makes you think it has a blown axle or something. That is just my thoughts on it, but you will not know unless your up close and personal.:dunno

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could well be an 85 engine, Case started using the 5.9 in 84. We would need to see the tag and CPL#, if it's a pre 89 engine it is from an ag/industrial application. BUT, the majority of those I have seen do not have the AFC control on the injection pump.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have a look at it 1st and make sure it a runner and the trans seems good as well. Look for anything crazy that may have been done during the swap. There is a difference in getting a swap done right and just getting it done.

Heath

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Possibly an incomplete swap.

Engine runs great, trucks in good shape, but that doesn't mean the truck runs.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1990 dodge ram motor and trans with 144k. truck had 300k when he swapped in motor. interior is shot. gas tank fill neck is in the bed.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're just buying the motor and trans then.......... in that case......Not worth that kind of coin to me. Is it an auto?:puke:

Heath

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Too much. All you are really buying is a cummins in a already worn out crate.I dont care what it is wrapped in. 1500 at most

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After talking to him thats what I figured. Would be cheaper to just get a motor and convert my dually that is in fairly decent shape then to pick up that one and try to bring it back to life. Oh well looked interesting at first.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After talking to him thats what I figured. Would be cheaper to just get a motor and convert my dually that is in fairly decent shape then to pick up that one and try to bring it back to life. Oh well looked interesting at first.

I like Brad's suggestion of $1500 at most for both the engine and trans. I paid less than that for my DT466 and Eaton Fuller transmission........ But, with "CUMMINS" on the engine, the price will double.LOL

Heath

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I like Brad's suggestion of $1500 at most for both the engine and trans. I paid less than that for my DT466 and Eaton Fuller transmission........ But, with "CUMMINS" on the engine, the price will double.LOL

Heath

No joke :eek:

I can pick up a 1996 DT466 for $500, and a Spicer 7 speed trans for $700 right now.

But I don't know how easy it is to get parts for a DT466, only reason Cummins is winning in my mind right now.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
DT466 parts are easy enough to get parts for. No need for machine work either, just buy in frame kits and you can do it all in your backyard...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online