WMO and Timimg

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the timing advance is controlled via back-pressure. If you have ever seen the top of the IP removed, it has two solenoids, one has a lever which goes down into the governor section which is the shutdown, and the other is simply a valve that controls the amount of back pressure is seen by the pump. How that actually increases timing I don't know.

I do know that when you are diagnosing a no fuel problem, and you are unaware of the design it defies logic when you remove the top cover and find the solenoid that closes a fuel valve is good, but the solenoid that controls a mechanical linkage is bad. Until I learned it was the opposite of what I assumed when I opened it up I was confused as hell as to why the "fuel valve" was good, but I was getting no fuel to my injectors and I had a bad "advance" solenoid. Kinda had me scratching my head til someone I don't remember who told me I had it backwards.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I set my timing to 11.1 BTDC using the pulse method. I have been running this for 3500-4000 miles under numerous load conditions. This seems to be where smoke at idle and start up is least to non-existent and EGT's seem happiest. I have the probe between #6 & 8 and see temps of 475-525 crusing at 55. Under loads of anywhere from 5000-15000lbs temps seem to run right where you would expect. Start up has been much easier and nicer than it ever was on the blended fuel. The only draw back to running advanced like this is that I have been told I am risking burning glow plugs out sooner than normal.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Well I set my timing to 11.1 BTDC using the pulse method. I have been running this for 3500-4000 miles under numerous load conditions. This seems to be where smoke at idle and start up is least to non-existent and EGT's seem happiest. I have the probe between #6 & 8 and see temps of 475-525 crusing at 55. Under loads of anywhere from 5000-15000lbs temps seem to run right where you would expect. Start up has been much easier and nicer than it ever was on the blended fuel. The only draw back to running advanced like this is that I have been told I am risking burning glow plugs out sooner than normal.

I am looking for some advise on where to set the timing for a 7.3idi. With my drive time and distance drastically reduced about 15 miles one way I plan to run a W50/D47/RUG3 mix. I think factory time is supposed to 9.8 BTDC with the oil being harder to ignite should I look at startimg around the 9.0-9.2 range? I can load the trailer up and pull a hill or two and see where EGT's are lowest and power highest from there.

Factory timing is 8-8.3, advanced timing would be 9.8. So at 11 or so you are really advanced. I might suggest turning it back to about 9.8ish. Just a suggestion. That's where I have mine.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory timing is 8-8.3, advanced timing would be 9.8. So at 11 or so you are really advanced. I might suggest turning it back to about 9.8ish. Just a suggestion. That's where I have mine.
The 8-8.3 was the setting for LSD now with ULSD 9.0-9.5 seems to be the accepted numbers. I am going to run this for a few months and see how things go. I have several marks so I can change timing with out a meter.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the man is on to something.

My turbo 4x4 was running weak so I threw my meter on it. 3.6* ATDC!!! Adjusted it to about 7.5 BTDC where it usually runs, tested again and got a different number. Happened to look at my fuel pressure and 0psi. So that's why te timing was all off.

After a new filter I started it and timing was at 10.5 BTDC. Started great this morning, egts were calmed down, engine temp stayed below 210ish and decent power. Can't say anything about mileage yet but ill leave it there for a little while and see what it do.

Last time I tried 10.5 of timing was on my NA 2wd and was sadly disappointed. Hard starts, low power. Put it back to 8.5 and all was well.

Don't know if it was the difference in fuel batches or just the fact that every engine is different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.