WMO and Timimg

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some advise on where to set the timing for a 7.3idi. With my drive time and distance drastically reduced about 15 miles one way I plan to run a W50/D47/RUG3 mix. I think factory time is supposed to 9.8 BTDC with the oil being harder to ignite should I look at startimg around the 9.0-9.2 range? I can load the trailer up and pull a hill or two and see where EGT's are lowest and power highest from there.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a timing meter, why not try running the wmo to see how the engine reacts.
Your on the right path of advancing timing with using wmo, it does burn "slower".
Can't remember right now but I'm sure others have done a "seat of your pants" timing, adjusting by sound or feel of power.
Have you run any wmo before??? I know others have made mixtures that are lighter on wmo, for instance a W40/D57/RUG3.
Lots of room to play with this stuff.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get a meter. My timing is very retarded right now and needs adjusting since it is 98,000 mile old factory settings. Cruising at 55 with this blend my EGT's are around 8-900 due to the late injection and fuel burning in the manifolds. I was running this mix all winter on 100 mile commute and have noticed smoke at idle and power are down since I first started running it.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this would 9.0 be retarded from factory since it is based on degrees of the crank shaft from TDC. So should I start some where around the 10.5 range to give the oil a chance to light before the piston tops out.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think your on the right track and its good to see you've been using it.
How did things go this winter, with start ups etc???
Think if you get a meter and then do some changes on timing that would be valuable info on here.
It's too bad that we (IDI owners) cant do a variable timing, then we could adjust according to the type of fuel we're burning.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't adjust anything. I have no reference, but my truck sounded a little hot on timing when I bought it, and it did have a replaced IP. My truck makes more power, and smokes less on oil until it hits very high rpms then it smokes terribly more on Oil but still heavily smokes on diesel at high rpm.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started running the oil somewhere around 85,000 miles on the engine in late December or early January. I just mixed a batch and threw it in since then I have noticed high smoke at idle, a noticable miss, and extremely high EGT's recently (last month or two). This is why I am retiming the engine.

As for how the blend ran it worked great. I would usually cycle the plugs twice and it would fire up. It did seem slow to catch if I didn't have it plugged in but it always started. I started on plugs in -20*f, it would start just fine on the heater even when we dipped to -28*f. I think if it wasn't for the oil I would have been stranded one morning about ten miles from work in -20*f weather as the diesel in the mix started to gel.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to get variable timing on the things too.

I will keep record of everything I as I time the truck and post it here. I figured timing specifcally for waste oil isn't very common or documented. Now if I could just get a dyno for a day......

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I have though about, why not use the timing advance already built into the pump, I have no idea ho many degrees it is, so that could cause severe damage depending on how much more it advances. I have no personal experience, but have been told that timing that is too hot can burn pistons.

When burning a heavy mix of oil and my pump is advanced due to temperature I can barely tell the difference when it goes to standard timing, whereas on diesel it is very noticeable the instant the temperature switch retards the timing to normal. Someone one here that knows care to chime in on the amount of timing advance is built into the pump? If it is 2 to 3 degrees then if I felt I would benefit from advanced timing I'd wire up a switch and relay to the pump solenoid.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish to state though, I know nothing about the effects of using the advance solenoid for long periods of time. It may be too aggressive, or it may cause the solenoid to burn out etc etc etc, just wanted to throw that out there.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how much the cold timing advance is either. I do know the engine sounds and runs differnt until it kicks off With my light blend . I will have to really pay attention tomorrow moring when I fire the truck up to how it feels and sounds until it kicks off Now that my timing is so messed up.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of advance to me to be running all the time. People say then can feel a difference from 9.5 to 9.8 when they retime. 3 just seems too much but maybe it isn't.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know how "controllable" it would be, but I do remembering reading that fuel pressure also can increase timing...????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin