Wiring woes. I got lucky.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago, my truck had a very strong electrical burn smell to it. Not having time I removed the fuse for the door locks and let it be.

Tonight I decided to dig into it. The harness connection to the drivers side door was toasted.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

I decided to simply hard wire it. I made a schedule, cut a harness, soldered and shrink wrapped it into the truck.

Here's the loom turning into the door access where the burnt connector previously resided.

The door harness tucked away.

I reconnected the batteries and the driver side door lock works so I guess progress was made. I'm pretty sure the other three door locks need new actuators. The driver window works, can't believe it actually worked prior to the repair. The passenger window isn't working so I will do some more digging later. I'd like to look at a wiring diagram too, that would probably be helpful, lol.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what caused it? Did the switch short out?? Bare wire rub the door frame??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
So what caused it? Did the switch short out?? Bare wire rub the door frame??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not 100% sure what caused it. Someone could have messed with the harness and failed to clip it back in its original location, causing wires to chafe.

It was a logging truck from Oregon so it got beat up pretty good I am certain. I do not believe that this is a common problem area.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
So my quest for functional windows and locks has been fighting me every step of the way. Napa fails to carry 4 actuators so I will be in a waiting pattern on those. I will have three of the four needed tomorrow and the 4th will wait till Tuesday. I got a new pair of speakers to install while the door covers are off. I have to hit the junk yard tomorrow in hopes of finding a drivers side actuator as I need the rod that comes out of the motor.

I had a broken wire in the switch block which was preventing the passenger side from operating. My girl was gracious enough to help me solder it back together and was quite proud of her handiwork. The crimp end was broken in two.

The metal fell off the bottom of the front passenger window and the insert was barely in tact. I'm hoping a glass shop can help me tomorrow with this or else a home made remedy will be put into operation.

I'm hoping to have functional power windows, door locks and new speakers by the end of the weekend. Oh yeah, Napa has the large pop river gun for $40 so you won't be able to even notice they were replaced and I can pop river my diamond plate tailgate protector back on.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Well, I went to a multi million dollar international glass company today, put the track on their counter and they said they couldn't help me. I then bought some 5 minute two part epoxy, went to my moms and cut off a swatch of roofing rubber from the cover on the log splitter and reattached the metal track with those items.

That was a test fit. The 2 part epoxy is hardening as we speak. I installed a new pair of speakers while the doors were apart and put new retainers on the passenger side door cover.

Had to pause for dinner but I should have the drivers side wrapped up tonight and possible new locks in the rear doors too. It's nice to be able to fend to the little things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online