Wiring factory turbo wastegate shut

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you wire the wastegate shut, that would mean you push the adjustable rod closed and wire it in place... correct?

I know it's not the best idea and I am not going to keep it like this, I just want to try it for a few short runs 10 seconds or so and see how much boost I build this way. Right now I have a factory turbo with the wastgate vacuum plugged and I can see 12 psi boost. Just looking to see...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This usually is a bad idea but... Just as long as you watch the boost carefully things wont blow up... If is the big word here. If your engine in is good condition... If the head gaskets are in good condition.... If you have head studs....If the boost gauge is reading correctly... As you can see... If is a big word when you are "testing" the engine like you suggest... That line you have plugged is a pressure line and not a vacuum line....

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will definitely monitor thing well and won't push the envelope too much. I will not leave it this way as I do use the truck to tow heavy loads occasionally. If something happens it's not a huge deal as it's not my DD ( at least it doesn't have to be).

An correct in my understanding of how to wire the WG closed (it's ok to answer, j fully understand the IDI engine and it's limitations)?