Wiper delay

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
When I put my wipers on intermittent selection they will go up half way and stop, then I can put them on a faster or slower selection they will go up half way stop then continue. I hear clicking coming from the passenger side under the dash, is there a sensor or something going bad? I can turn them on full speed and they work flawless.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
intermittant module

The black box that is plugged into the back of the switch house a printed circuit board with sub par soldering. The cold solder connections fail from vibration ( or especially from letting the parking brake slam the dash). the fix is easy.
Remove the black box, and pop its cover off. Carefully reheat the solder joints with an iron. It usually is not necessary to add any more solder. Make sure to not accidentally bridge any of the joints. It should be good to go after that!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That applies to the older pre 92 trucks, the newer trucks have a different setup. Mine was doing something similar, I ended up having to replace the whole switch assembly which wasn't terribly difficult or expensive. Will it start again, if even for a moment from just tweaking the knob a bit? You might also try bending the tabs in the motor itself, it's a free fix if it works. You pop the cover off the motor and there are 2 metal tabs that rub on rings in the motor, just bend them a bit more so they make better contact and sometimes that helps.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I have had 2 different switches, the thing you actually turn on to turn on the wipers. What makes the clicking noise under the dash? Sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Yes If I just move the knob up one and back it will start again, then sometimes it will work like it is suppose to then randomly start acting up. You talking about the actual wiper motor right?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wiper motor assembly could be the problem, this was ultimately the problem with my truck. There is a plastic cover visible and there are contacts under it that contact a gear assembly that has rings for on off location if that ring slips as it did on mine, you get wipers doing the half park on windshield trick.

I wrote a tech article on resoldering the control module it's in the tech section for IDI's if you check there it may be of help but, I suspect that it's the electric wiper motors park sensor mechanism.

JM2CW

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did exactly that for a year or so until one day they died and needed a motor replacement.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a litle black enclosed box behind the glovebox that controls the wiper delay timers. Mine went bad and i found this out after I changed the switch and wiper motor. Its cheaper to get one from a junkyard. i cant remember the price but it was not cheap so i dug one out of a truck from a junkyard. Hope this helps. I cant remember what it all controls but fixed my wiper problem that was doing the same thing yours is doing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intermittent Wiper not working

There is a cap on the end of the stalk that will pop out - about 1/4" thick, domed and the size of a quarter. Once it is off, you can remove a screw in the end of the switch you rotate to turn the wipers on and operate the delay then slide the knob off the stalk - watch for falling parts, there are a couple but they probably will not fall out, just be aware. Take a lint-free cloth or paper shop towel and clean the contacts on the switch end you removed (a white nylon piece that fits into the knob) and down in the "well" of the stalk that it fits into. Do not bend any of the contacts, including the one that looks like it was bent taking it out.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does this too. it's gotten progressively worse. now i have no intermittent wipers at all. i've changed the multi-function switch on the steering column. that got me some functionality back. anyone got more info on the relay/timer box under/behind the glove box? i'm guessing this is my problem.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a wiper control module behind the glove box. Mine went bad and I got one from a junkyard. It fixed some of my problems but I ended up replacing the wiper motor and that fixed everything. The wiper control module is what you hear clicking behind the glove box. Basically your problems can be in the multifunction switch on the column, then the wiper control module, then the motor itself. Just have to do some diagnosing to evaluate which one seems most likely to be in need of replacement.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Im still having this issue, just really been brushing it off since it hasnt been to big of a problem. Now the problem is changing a bit, when I put it on intermittent the wipers go to full continuous.

Whats this little wiper control module thing look like?