winter front?

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
anybody know where to get a cloth style one that fits my 92?
i have the lund style that snaps into grill,but because of my plow frame i can't cover the center openings.
i know they are avalible,i saw one on a 94-97 powerstroke the other day

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find a suitable replacement and want to sell off the Lund inserts...keep me in mind. It only gets really cold here like for a week or two, but it'd be nice to have 'em...

As far as a cloth replacement, you may have to have an upholstry shop make one for you. (places that do Boat covers would be where I'd start...) I don't know off hand of any "pre-fabbed" cloth covers.

Ryan

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
There's a thread somewhere here in the basement from not too long ago where the guy used foam pipe insulator tubes to make a winter front. Just cut them to size & stuffed them in the holes he wanted fill. If I remember right, he left the 4 around the ford emblem open & that was it. I think the foam came from Home Depot.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I found it, I don't know how to link to it but it's called "Cheap Easy Winterfront Idea" & was posted on 11-28-05 by rthomas. It's on page 4 of the thread listing towards the bottom.

Anybody that can tell me how to link one thread to another?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
My boss's sister has a upholstery shop, here in Oz. She can make whatever you want.

I have a simple one, for The Crossbreed. One of our drivers had an awesome quilted one made for his Pete.

http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2535

Post #6 is some of her work.

Drop me a PM, and I'll get you her number, address, or whatever.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
thanks packrat,i'll keep you in mind,we have a guy up here pretty good also.
just thougt there would be a simple snap or bungee cord style one avalible

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then...here comes a stupid question but I gotta ask. I'm sure this is something for the northern states and I even lived up in the cold but not for long after I started driving so I gotta ask cuz I'm seeing alot of posts like this one.

What does covering up the grill do?? Why do you do it and aren't you afraid of not enough air getting into the engine and overheating?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Alrighty then...here comes a stupid question but I gotta ask. I'm sure this is something for the northern states and I even lived up in the cold but not for long after I started driving so I gotta ask cuz I'm seeing alot of posts like this one.

What does covering up the grill do?? Why do you do it and aren't you afraid of not enough air getting into the engine and overheating?
i was wondering more along what temps do you take the winter mask off?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
towcat said:
i was wondering more along what temps do you take the winter mask off?

Runnin in temps under 30F I can keep all the inserts in on Goldie. 30-40F I usually take the center 2 pieces out. Not sure but I can keep em all in and have a hard time keeping temp unless I'm runnin 75mph on the highway. :eek:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I've never felt the need for one here with a properly functioning vehicle, but it doesn't really get below 0 very often and I am not on the freeway a lot. I am think about sticking one on the battle wagon though since the t stat stuck open. Icy cold in there!
James

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about the winter front which makes it nice, is it does help the engine warm up quicker. Sympothetic cooling of the exterior of the motor can be greatly reduced, and some of that warm air can warm up the firewall enough to at least make you "feel" warmer in the cab sooner. Your certainly right that the engine itself doesn't need it, but all the accessories and other components exposed to the brutal winter air can benefit from it some IMO. That said however, I've never bothered with one either. I did throw one on my old Ranger one winter when the thermostat stuck open. It made heat possible again. LOL

MT.EZ

Reaction score
I a winter front and a bug screen for my 92 from Cabella's for like $40 last year I really like it and use the bug screen in the summer.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i found a really high quality one from a place called AFTERMARKET EFFECTS in cortland.has 4 zippered holes for air ,also has the screen also for summer use.comes with the snaps and all hardware.should have it next week ;Sweet
hey reklund,you still want the snap in style?if so where are you located?