winter blends...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I had winter troubles with my fuel, which if I mind right was 75-80% oil was in the -30 windchill days and trying to hold 65 down the interstate. The truck would surge because it couldn't draw enough thick fuel. Stopped, added a gallon or so of rug to te oil tank, couple gallons of diesel in the front tank and was fine the rest if the way.

When it would surge bad I would switch tanks quick to get fuel pressure back up then switch to the oil again.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought about putting a heat exchanger in but I only have those troubles maybe 2 weeks out of the year so didn't think it be worth it

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
follow up on this, ive found with the lower temps ive had trouble starting in the morning if the block heater is not plugged in, and there was some surging while running, so i backed down to 50/10/40 D2/RUG/WMO and no more issues.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me its about getting the oil through the filter. I will have 10 psi of pressure prefilter, but the truck still starves. I just bought a filter heater and will be hooking that up soon. I am running 80% WVO 20% D2 in one tank and D@ in the other.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, I have more trouble getting fuel through filters.

Well,,,, the truck on anything below 60 just flat won't crank anymore. It's got tons of miles, slap worn out, and is even slow to crank in the summer without glowplugs. Since it dropped off cold I have to pull the truck If I want it to start. Doesn't matter the fuel. It's either going to be totally replaced, or get a new engine this spring.400,000 plus miles on it. Little blue still has non functioning preglow. The controller was bad on the car when I bought it, swapped the one off the 350SDL onto it, it worked for a good while, but the controller kept the plugs lit too long and burnt them out just before the temps started getting too cold. May get around to replacing them tomorrow, or the next day.

BUT, when the glow plugs were functioning, we got one good cold dip below freezing, and the cars started just fine on a high percentage of 80-90 gear oil, they just wouldn't run down the road on it.
Last winter the cars were not mine yet, but the truck had acceptable crank times, and would run fine on greater than 90 percent as long as I was easy on the throttle. High speeds or hard acceleration would cause the filter light to illuminate and the engine would start starving soon after.

Same for the tractor, I had it on a 80-90 percent mix. It got cold several days ago and I needed to do some bush hogging. Since it has no glow plugs it needs ether in the winter even on D2. I ethered it and cranked it up and ran the throttle wide open. About 30 seconds after cranking it it quit, and I had to bleed the fuel system to get it going again. Once I got it started I ran it for several minutes at a low throttle setting until I could feel heat coming from around the cowling. Once the tractor was up in temperature I was able to slowly bring it up to speed. It has no thermostat, and a good radiator, so even in the summer it rarely runs above 130/140. The next day it was the same thing. Dumped a couple gallons of stale gasoline in it and it does fine now.

One thing I have noticed though, in cold temps and several minutes of idiling or low rpm running it will start to spit goodly amounts of unburnt fuel out the exhaust. Enough fuel will come out that when you rev it back up it pours several ounces out the exhaust that accumulated in the muffler. I now have a huge mess all over the hood and exhaust. In temps that are low, it seems to run fine, no apparent missing, it just starts to spitup if you are not working it. If it's really cold it will still spew small amounts of fuel out the exhaust unless it's under load. Now once you put a load on it, it starts doing very well, and will build enough heat to burn off the fuel that ran down the muffler. I have decided to put it back on d2 until summer, unless I can work it hard I feel there is too much risk of coking if I don't.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh do you think the tractor would run a little better, after start up, with a thermostat?
Maybe if it ran to hot in summer, take the stat out, I know that would be a pain, but if it helped during winter...???(glad the couple gallons of gas helped)

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
radiator cardboard....i assuming you have a mechanical direct drive fan on your tractor. Radiator cardboard is a good solution.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran radiator cardboard on my cummins all winter when not towing. Worked great!

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a biscuit pan thrown in there now, got about 85-90 percent of the radiator blocked, the temp hand will rise just a milometer or so off the stop peg now lol.