Winter battery charging.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a solar charger last year for a motorcycle that I hadnt used much. ( it was a spare bike) thet little panel is awesome to keep the batteiris topped off. This one was about $20 from lowes. it either plugs into the cigarette lighter or clamps on the battery posts. When the truck is not being driven i hook it up and throw it up on the dash. Seems to keep the battery life healthy during cold weather.

Just thought I would share.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I've got a battery tender bolted down under the hood with a plug sticking out next to the block heater plug. If the truck sits, it gets plugged in. Same concept I guess, but it sure works good.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a battery tender bolted down under the hood with a plug sticking out next to the block heater plug. If the truck sits, it gets plugged in. Same concept I guess, but it sure works good.
I have the same, except I use the Shumacher SE-1-12S as it is much less expensive and does the same job:

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026501A

Also, if you live near a Harbor Freight Tools, they always have sale coupons for their battery maintainer (Item #42292) which you can usually get for $5-6 on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

I have several of each of the above and they all get the job done. I WILL say that you have to be careful with the Harbor Freight unit, as if you lose AC power to the charger, the battery it is connected to will slowly discharge through the red LED on the maintainer, which will eventually completely discharge the battery (ask me how I know this)! The Shumacher unit does not have this issue and is designed to be permanently connected to the battery.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do the same thing, Only difference is i dont have to run an extension cord out to my truck. I park out behind my shop so i am a good distance from any 110 power outlets.