will only start with either hot or cold

bctimber

Reaction score
hi nice site . Looking for help well after some research on this site i thing it's the IP .1993 no turbo 7.3 just bout it. hot or cold will no start with out either 1 blast starts right up will run all day if you shut it off and restart with in 5 minutes it fires right up with no throttle. wait 10 minutes you must hold full throttle to start .wait 15 no go must have either help. Shane

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere. Are the injecter caps wet looking or are they painted gray.. Now we do need more information like has the mechanical lift pump under the vacuum got any wet areas on it...

bctimber

Reaction score
hi that was fast i am on dial up so it takes a wile. have installed a one way valve between the tank and the lift pump. the lift pump has 3 to 3.5 pis at the schrader valve on the filter at an idle. shut it off an the psi drops right off asap but if you pinch off the hose from the PI to the filler the engine drops dead but it hold pis.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+2 on the air leak vote. I agree that you should look closely at the return lines and caps on the injectors. That is the most common site for leaks.

How many miles are on the IP and injectors? 100,000 miles is about all you can expect.

What about your glowplugs? New/old? Working/burnt out?

Heath

bctimber

Reaction score
sorry said that wrong . pinch the line from the pi to filter it hold psi and still runs pinch the line to the injector caps it stalls .they are gray

bctimber

Reaction score
leaks

I hope thats all it is . miles on IP ,just got the truck don't know.plug's and the timer and solenoids check out fine it is a fuel proboum the return lines all look ok no ovis leaks. any good was to check.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i would say if it only starts with ether, then its a glow plug problem. especially when you say one blast and she starts right up. if you had that much air intrusion where after 10 mins it doesnt start, then wouldnt she be running funny too?? and are your plugs disconnected when your spraying ether in it???

bctimber

Reaction score
air and controller

well after reading the reply I put a clear hose from the pump to the return line on the fuel rails start it up no air but shut it off for 10 min and full of air. after some digging i found a cheapo connection down under the controller. fix that still no start. the solenoid on the control is now dead it was working be for as that was one of the first thing i checked let you know how it go's

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea if your water temp is up around 130 or so, it should start without glow plugs no problem. I'd be looking more at a heat soak issue on the IP, AND a glow plug problem. IP's CAN be bench tested by those with the special tools to do it, but you won't find any of those people willing to do it. The risk of contamination to a very expensive machine is not worth it.