will e4od from 97 psd fit 93 idi?

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guy has one locally. no forward gears but reverse works.
only reason i want it is to rebuild it to replace the e4od in my truck,
since i know it will inevitably fail. i have 213k on it now and it still seem
pretty tight. i've read the later model
e4od is stronger than the earlier ones, so it seems this 97 would be
a good choice. he's asking 100 and it come with torque converter.
so will it fit the idi? i don't know if the starter bolt pattern is the same,
or if the idi started will fit. it is from a psd, so the internals should be
rated for more torque than what i have, right?
thanks in advance

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If youre going to rebuild it, doesn't matter what it came out of as long as its a diesel e4od.

Its not a bolt in, plug in and go swap.converter and solenoid packs are different.

The later e4od did have some updates done to it but they are still junk.dump the auto for a 5speed.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would cost way more to convert my truck to a 5spd than to rebuild an auto. Diesel trucks around here are expensive and a zf is even more expensive. Plus people here seem to have an aversion to pulling everything to complete a job. And I'm not pulling 16k all over the place so the auto suits me just fine. If I want to row some gears ill drive my travelall.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well first of that is a good trans to rebuild. As for knowing if its been upgraded or not is still up in the air for me. That could be an early psd tran if you don't know the owner. Anything could have been bolted in that rig. Now if its really as you posted it will be a upgraded trans. In the first E4OD trans there was no center main shaft support bearing. Als the planetary gears were in an aluminum case so that was a very weak spot. Now as to a bolt in... Not.. The torque conterter will have 6 bolts and our idi will have 4 bolts. So you will need a differant torque converter. Spend the money and install a triple disc converter. They have 150 square inches of friction material where all the other oems have just 25 square inches. The oem works well but they can fail from heavy use. You willl never ruin a triple disc because we can't make enough hp or torque. The solenoid pack will need to be shanged to as posted. Other than that the internals are the same between the differant applications so there is no "stornger part" in the psd E4OD trans that I know of...

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would I know if its and early or late trans? I know the case looks a bit different. It has some major ribbing on it. Is there a number anywhere on it?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have over 200,000 miles on a factory original 20 yr old transmission that's still shifting tight with no sign of slowing down yet.i wouldn't be too worried about building a spare for the shelf.don't let the fear mongering manual shift fans get to ya.
p.s. i have no fear of 16k gross with mine.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Honestly with those miles I think having a spare would be nice, but you have to remember that even if that spare isnt installed, by the time you need it, the warranty might be used up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
guy has one locally. no forward gears but reverse works.
only reason i want it is to rebuild it to replace the e4od in my truck,
since i know it will inevitably fail. i have 213k on it now and it still seem
pretty tight. i've read the later model
e4od is stronger than the earlier ones, so it seems this 97 would be
a good choice. he's asking 100 and it come with torque converter.
so will it fit the idi? i don't know if the starter bolt pattern is the same,
or if the idi started will fit. it is from a psd, so the internals should be
rated for more torque than what i have, right?
thanks in advance

The converter is worth $100 bucks as a core. If you want a core this is a good deal.

No forward gears could a loose center support or feed bolts.

It will bolt up to an IDI.

The differences are . Early E4OD's use a four stud converter. Late uses a six stud converter. 95 was a change year for the Transmission Range Sensor and solenoid pack. To convert your 97 case. Use a pre 95 solenoid pack and use the new range sensor. Pre 95 MLPS is obsolete.

95 and up use an F5 front pump. This is the better pump. Specially if you plan on a multi disk converter and go better mods. The early pumps do not have good flow for performance mods.

The internals of the 97 may or may not have aluminum planetary gear carriers. If it does have aluminum, change them to steel.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4R100 cooling tube fittings,3/8 lines for cooling tubes, good heavy duty cooler, bypass the radiator cooler will help it live longer.

The rear fitting restricts fluid flow.the 4r100 fitting is larger to increase flow

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Never bypass the radiator. This is the most efficient cooler. Basically it takes over where the O/A cooler leaves off. Long idle time. Slow heavy towing, and reverse is where this is needed.

Most people change out a failed tranny and never flush this cooler. Then when the debris flows fails the new tranny, they blame this cooler.

Best thing to do is flush it good with solvent. You can get a can at any good auto parts joint. After flushing grab an inline filter. Install this down stream of the cooler(s).

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i'll be picking this thing up tomorrow. $70 for the trans, tq converter, wiring harness, cross member, and flexplate.
will the flexplate fit the idi? that would make life simple to use the 6 stud converter.
will i need to use anything from the wiring harness, or just do as said above and use the 95 and earlier solenoid pack and new range sensor?
tia

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No flexplate off a psd will fit the idi crank flange. The number of bolts is differant and the flange size is larger on the psd plate. Can't advise on the rest of the questions above. Sounds like a great price for the parts. As posted. The converter is worth $100.00 and thats 30 bucks more than all the parts. you already made money if thats what you wanted to do.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I may as well try to sell the converter then since it won't fit my flexplate. Plan is to use the trans in my truck since it has some stronger and more desirable parts compared to the 93 trans in my truck

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
I know this is like resurrecting the dead. The thread has been silent for a while.....but im rolling some options around.

Has anyone done the 97 E4OD swap into a 90 to 94 7.3 idi? Anyone have a list of parts to do this. Im also considering using us controls stand alone computer or equivalent if i did do this swap.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '94 F350 came to me w/a '97 E4od that had the solenoid pack/mlps changes mentioned above.
Plows snow and runs good with the added large cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86