WiDE - Water in Diesel Emulsion

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Made it back

Update: made it back from Maple Ridge. No issues.

It used 2 tanks going there, and 2 tanks coming back. I figure that is less than 150 Litres one way since the tank (front) was not completely dry. Google maps gives the distance as 938 kilometers one way. Even using 150 Litres, that works out to 6.26 km/l (14.7 mpg US) one way. I can live with that, especially considering the cost per kilometer. :)

I put the fan and shroud back on thinking it might be a good idea climbing the 8% grade on the Coquihalla Hwy. No problems climbing it. I did gear down to 4th on the 8% section tho.

The latest pick of the samples. You can see how dirty the original sample is...still!

You must be registered for see images attach

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice info again.
Been thinking about larger sized filtering system that uses settling.
bb do you think a elevated barrel with a coned bottom, then about 2 feet of 1" pipe with a valve, open the valve and drain out a couple liters????(some kinda of clear pipe/hose might work good.)
Another couple liters a day later????
Maybe the time span needs to change...:dunno
It seems like the bio really lets the crud settle out quicker then normal..

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Gunk drainage

Brad, I like the coned barrel idea. I'll be doing something like that for my WMO system.
When I emptied my settling barrels into the slip tank, there was probably 2.5 gallons left in each barrel. The fuel that I pumped out of the barrels was pretty clean. I'm happy with it, but getting the last little bit out of the barrel is a pain. That's why I like the coned barrel idea. In fact, I will probably just weld a bund on the bottom of the barrel and call it good enough.

I had to replace a couple of glow plugs. They were toast before I started using the new fuel. Here is a couple of pics. They were pretty sooty, but other than that...ok.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so I've got everything correct, your still run the water in these batches of fuel???
If yes, those GP's don't look like they've been exposed to any "water" in the fuel...???
In that case they look pretty good...

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
New Batch

Yes, still running a water in diesel emulsion. Just made up a new batch today. The skinny jar holds the new batch. This sample was taken about 10 minutes after mixing

This will now sit for a least a week. The longer the better.

I figured the glow plugs would be cleaner. It may be that the timing is still to far advanced. It sure rattles when its cold.
It ran quieter when I unplugged the cold advance solenoid. Same kind of experience with bio-diesel. I wound up running about 8.0-8.5* BTDC timing with 100% bio. Now that I think of it, when was running about a 50/50 mix of diesel and bio it ran fawesome. I'm still at 9* BTDC now since using only 2% bio just for lubricity. Maybe the bio has more effect than I thought. Tomorrow I will retard the timing another 0.5*.

I really need to get the EGT probe installed. I think it would give me a better understanding of what's going on.

Attachments

• 2014-10-25_batch.jpg
    2014-10-25_batch.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2014-10-25_batch_2.jpg
    2014-10-25_batch_2.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
White glop

Update: New batch fail. :(

This sure doesn't look like the last two batches. I thought the mix looked a little white.

Looking at the biodiesel processing web sites, it looks like this is a result of incompletely processed waste vegetable oil into biodiesel.
The last two batches I made using biodiesel from the top of this same barrel. The barrel is getting low, so I am drawing from closer to the bottom now. Damn crap biodiesel!!

Attachments

• White_glop.jpg
    White_glop.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should say when I meant the GPs looked good, I figured they would have a whiteish color to them, because of the extra water.
Think your on the right track when it comes to the extra soot on them.
Maybe that "bottom of the barrel" stuff would make good hand washing soap....probably not, being its fuel and all.
Had another thought on your bio diesel stuff, and would be fuel sources.
If you get a chance using a grinding wheel, or a buffing wheel, like a person would use to put a patch on the inside of a tire, get a sample of small flakes of rubber and soak them in some bio diesel.
I know bio diesel really is a good cleaner, so maybe some of the oil that's left in rubber could get pulled out...????
Not that I want anyone to try to burn it yet, but I'm really curious if the bio diesel would do this....
I want to try this one myself but don't have any bio yet, if I do get some bio I'll try this too.
Again nice pics & info.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
If you get a chance using a grinding wheel, or a buffing wheel, like a person would use to put a patch on the inside of a tire, get a sample of small flakes of rubber and soak them in some bio diesel.
I know bio diesel really is a good cleaner, so maybe some of the oil that's left in rubber could get pulled out...????
Not that I want anyone to try to burn it yet, but I'm really curious if the bio diesel would do this....

That is some serious out of the box thinking! If it worked, you would not have any trouble getting tires. I guess the work would be in grinding up the tires.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
For those wondering, I am using the stock 6.9 fuel system, including the water separator mounted on the firewall. I use a WIX33811 Fuel Filter. Its Nominal Micron rating is 6. Its not water blocking.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AHA! I was wondering how you were getting any water at all past the filter. A water separator is fairly poor at getting out dissolved or emulsified water, but are great at catching free water. I know little about your experimentation so I have been reluctant to add anything. And honestly I'm proud for your courage to experiment with it, if it were me I would have boiled the water out and never looked back lol.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The waiting is the hardest part

Update: I may have called a fail on the new batch prematurely. Here is what the sample looks like after 4 days:
With and without flash

I guess I'll just wait...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I have CRS syndrome, the batches your making are bio-diesel + certain amount of water = your WIDE fuel....:D:D
Do you think when the water was added, did it separate to its own narrow layer OR did it mix with the bio-diesel or one of the other layers????

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
9 days old

Update: Latest batch sample pics flash & no flash:

It appears to be separating into two layers from the three. The top is beautifully clear. It must be a mix of diesel and bio. It can't be just bio, because I only put 20% in it. I'm not sure what the bottom is. Water and ???
I sure doesn't look like the first two batches. I noticed when I mixed it up, the "stuff" was more of an orange colour than previously.
Perhaps now that I getting lower in the tote, there is a higher water content.

Brad, I am mixing the "stuff", a mixture of about 11% water in diesel emulsion and crap, with about 20% biodiesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online