Why RTV the air filter housing?

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Why would someone RTV this? The odd things people do.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It makes no sense to me. From the factory, the bottom of the air cleaner has a rubber seal on it. The intake hats for a turbo have an o-ring for a seal. The gasket that's on there is not needed unless for some reason the air cleaner seal is gone. Even then, you don't need to use the rtv to hold the gasket down.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quit asking myself that.
some people have no business working on a vehicle.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a guy get let go on the job but had to finish the day. He had 2 oil changes left. He lock tight oil pan bolt and oil filter. I asked him why that probably going to be me changing the oil next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It makes no sense to me. From the factory, the bottom of the air cleaner has a rubber seal on it. The intake hats for a turbo have an o-ring for a seal. The gasket that's on there is not needed unless for some reason the air cleaner seal is gone. Even then, you don't need to use the rtv to hold the gasket down.
The gasket is there, first time I took it off I had to pull off the muck of RTV all over the gasket. So yes it is odd.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think people should be certified to work on stuff.

I had a guy come in saying his car is pulling to the left hard when braking. OK could be bad caliber go under and look found the passenger side brake like caped off. Check the rear both was caped off as well. I go to the customer ask did he have a brake job done. He said yes the shop down the road. Well I showed him and told him he should get his money back and it can't leave my show till this is fixed. He looked at me like I'm crazy. So I told him if the car leaves it's on me if you get into a wreck because I found it.

Personally I think brakes should be if one goes down the whole truck shouldn't move like air brakes.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think people should be certified to work on stuff.

I had a guy come in saying his car is pulling to the left hard when braking. OK could be bad caliber go under and look found the passenger side brake like caped off. Check the rear both was caped off as well. I go to the customer ask did he have a brake job done. He said yes the shop down the road. Well I showed him and told him he should get his money back and it can't leave my show till this is fixed. He looked at me like I'm crazy. So I told him if the car leaves it's on me if you get into a wreck because I found it.

Personally I think brakes should be if one goes down the whole truck shouldn't move like air brakes.

Once I was working next to the oil change guy he said he knew how to rebuild motor and transmissions. We all thought he would know what he was doing well then he went to change oil in the first car of the day and he took the old filter off out a new one on and then set the car down. He put new oil in it then started it shut it off then checked the oil. He came over and asked why it was. 5 quarts over full. He never drained the oil out of the motor he forgot that part.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Had a buddy "change his oil" once.
He came to me months later saying his car is making a noise.
Well..... turns out he drained the transmission, and double filled the engine. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a guy get let go on the job but had to finish the day. He had 2 oil changes left. He lock tight oil pan bolt and oil filter. I asked him why that probably going to be me changing the oil next time.

Management rule one, if you let someone go, they do no more work. Or you let them go at days end.