Why No Turbo Whistle

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm Mel that sounds interesting but also a bit scary and probley not worth the head ache. Mine has no nicks and spools very well with a nice loud whistle something is not hooked up right.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Low whistle is actually a sign of a really healthy turbo. If your really despirate for it to be louder, you can nick the blades up a tiny little bit. But do it evenly and don't remove any metal. WARNING - Do this at your own peril. Intentional damage is not reversable.

then they better take a look at all the semi trucks and light duty diesels out there.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low whistle is actually a sign of a really healthy turbo. If your really despirate for it to be louder, you can nick the blades up a tiny little bit. But do it evenly and don't remove any metal. WARNING - Do this at your own peril. Intentional damage is not reversable.

banks turbo's whistle like a mother with no muffler Mel,right off idle (even slightly just idling) brand new or hardly used like mine.

Reaction score
My Banks (Sidewinder, no wastegate), doesn't whistle at idle, at least nowhere near like the trucks in the links. However, with the passenger window down, you get a nice low pitch whistle while chugging around out of boost. One it gets into boost, though, it's barely audible.

I crawled under mine today with the full intention of yanking a couple pipes off just for giggles. I got as as far as getting the clamps loose and decided not to mess with it. That Banks exhaust is too nice a piece to mess with, plus I know if I liked the sound I'd be too tempted to go get a custom 4" bent up, and I don't need to spend that kind of $$$ right now.

Mike

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Mine whistles (banks wg sidewinder, nearly new) but only at light throttle, once it spools, its quiet.

Reaction score
So, I got bored over the weekend and decided to play around with the GoPro a bit. Here are some quick vids I took to give a rough idea of the Banks whistle as well as the exhaust note from the Banks exhaust. Note the lack of whistle upon start-up, which I assume can be attributed to the turbo not having a wastegate:

http://youtu.be/3LXv9B3nk4E

Sorry if they're not the greatest quality. I haven't had the patience to really get good at taking/editing video.

Mike

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Smaller turbos = less boost, also has to do with the exhaust flow, faster/more exhaust = more spool = more boost

My (assumed) 093 ATS with no downpipe has a nice whistle when you hit the gas (stock airbox for now), we'll see after I get the exhaust put on if it has any whistle or not (4" straight pipe w/ 3" down pipe)

Just as an update got the exhaust put on Friday night and no more turbo whistle (although now I can tell that it does infact puff smoke untill it builds boost)

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the parts truck running, never had a turboed vehicle before; the banks first gen has a healthy sounding whistle with full banks intake and stock exhaust. I realized a turbo would be a big difference, was not prepared for just how much difference a turbo would make; that truck flies next to my N/A

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the parts truck running, never had a turboed vehicle before; the banks first gen has a healthy sounding whistle with full banks intake and stock exhaust. I realized a turbo would be a big difference, was not prepared for just how much difference a turbo would make; that truck flies next to my N/A
crazy isn't it.once i put my banks on,and turned up the fuel a bit,i then realized,they shouldn't have even been offered as n/a.:D

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I gotta ask, has anyone ever done this? Mel would you knick the hotside blades for whistle at idle? I have a fresh rebuilt 093 charger with 0 miles on it from borg warner and i get absolutley zero whistle.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this works but isnt worth doing. Get one of those keychain turbos if you want whistle so bad, hook it up to the boost side port.

After doing a custom intake on my banks turbo - 4" filter and pipe up to the turbo inlet. Ceramicoating the whole exhaust from manifolds to downpipe, including turbo, and not welding on the downpipe I get TONS of whistle.

I would rather spray or coat or glue something with texture than risk trying to nick blades up to get whistle, if i was that desperate. I know it could throw off the balance but so could a blade coming loose from where you nick it. You don't need much to get whistle, the tiniest amount will do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXoLTNONpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online