Why No Turbo Whistle

Reaction score
Cut the muffler and cat out if it has one straight 3.5 in exhaust and you will be good cheap too.

Cat? Whassa cat? LOL

Crawled under last night and realized the exhaust has a slip-on bit between the intermediate pipe and the muffler (aftermarket Banks unit). May have to yank that out just to see. You know, for 'experimental' purposes. :sly.

Mike

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like this post... my 94 is factory turbo and nothing touched ( as far as i know), i did remove the muffler is all since i bought it and i have absolutely no turbo whistle either.. hell most people think my truck has a 460 in it..soon as my play truck is done i am gonna start applying some of ya'lls ideas to see if i can get a little whistle out of mine.. being a "turbo" diesel i think you should at least be able to hear a little something from it..

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
You've got to have a pretty good drive pressure leak yet Eric.
Maters 088 with no intake hat gasket was pushing 11 psi of boost yesterday for me running to a fire call.
And I still haven't turned the fuel up yet.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Maters 088 with no intake hat gasket was pushing 11 psi of boost yesterday for me running to a fire call.
And I still haven't turned the fuel up yet.

WOW! i am bout ready to say screw it and just get a new y collector and up pipe. i know that is were some of my drive pressure is going. sealants just aren't working, they just keep blowing out.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
When I was fighting leaks on Goldies up pipes, a pinhole size leak was enough to drop boost pressure noticeably.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
well huh..........

when i originally installed my exhaust i measured the muffler and measured the extra piece of tubing that came with the kit. my measurements showed that the extra piece was not long enough to use as a muffler delete.

well today i decided to crawl under the truck and take some measurements so i could get a piece of pipe. turns out that extra piece that was to short is now actually about 4 inches longer than what i will need.:dunno;Sweet
i obviously measured wrong or the placement of the over the axle piece changed.

so i just need to get a 4"-4" coupler and my muffler delete will be complete.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
running no muffler doesn't yield a good sounding engine.it sounds raw and trashy imho.:D
it's not so bad with a turbo,but "not so bad" isn't good either lol.
for good turbo whistle,you need to make sure your timing is correct.perhaps it's too retarded?
wrap the hell out of all the pipes.this holds heat in them,making exhaust flow quicker which makes the turbo spool quicker.a quicker spool = more whistle.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he just needs new up pipes. the vibration will crack out any sealer if its that loose. and a tiny leak does make a HUGE difference.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
he just needs new up pipes. the vibration will crack out any sealer if its that loose. and a tiny leak does make a HUGE difference.

thanks Russ!!. that is what is happening. the sealer just cracks then leaks again. i will be dropping the check off at the post office tomorrow morning.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
running no muffler doesn't yield a good sounding engine.it sounds raw and trashy imho.:D
it's not so bad with a turbo,but "not so bad" isn't good either lol.
for good turbo whistle,you need to make sure your timing is correct.perhaps it's too retarded?
wrap the hell out of all the pipes.this holds heat in them,making exhaust flow quicker which makes the turbo spool quicker.a quicker spool = more whistle.

i have heard the same thing about these engines being straight piped.

i think i will wrap the up-pipe, still debating on the cross over pipe.

maybe this stuff on the cross over pipe.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...-+high+heat_-1_1636&keyword=paint+-+high+heat

Reaction score
My only issue with wrapping the x-over pipe is that if/when you get a leak anywhere on the top side of the engine, it inevitably travels down the intake valley, off the block, and drips right onto the x-over.

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low whistle is actually a sign of a really healthy turbo. If your really despirate for it to be louder, you can nick the blades up a tiny little bit. But do it evenly and don't remove any metal. WARNING - Do this at your own peril. Intentional damage is not reversable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online