Why do you love your IDI?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I will admit that my 6.2 in my Blazer runs as strong as the day it was allowed to play in the military, but my 6.9 has more character to me. Even the huge rattle of the engine in the Ford is more of song than the 6.2s "Kerr-ack kerr-ack kerr-ck kerr-ack kerr-ack...". Don't get me wrong, I am a diesel purist and LOVE the loud diesel engine that makes the bandwagon diesel owners cringe and point their noses up to the sky, but there is just a beautiful quality in the way the IH diesel runs. Might explain why I love all the IH diesel tractors on the farm as well.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my IDI.....for one thing if it's broke there are so many people on here that can and will answer my questions on how to fix it. It is sooooooo simple to work on. Parts are readily available, at least around my neck of the woods. It is not a 6.0 or a 6.4. Parts are cheap for it compared to any powerstroke. It is an OBS, which I love. It is like the energizer bunny, it keeps going and going and going. I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Reaction score
I LOVE bricknoses (this is my third one), and LOVE the idea of never having to deal with CARB, so the IDI was a win-win. I was (and in many ways still am) a diesel newb, but as most of you know, you couldn't pick a simpler specimen to cut your teeth on. 'Love' would be a strong word for me to use for the engine specifically, but as I continue to work out all the little bugs, it's growing on me by leaps and bounds.

Mike

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Stupid simple.
2. Cheap.
3. Turbo whistle from a jacked up, beat up bricknose.
4. Girlfriend likes driving it more than her 2001 grand Cherokee or the 2003 navigator.

Last edited by a moderator:

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have pretty much always been a Ford truck man, bought a new 86 F350 with 6.9 (my first diesel) then had a 90 CC dualie with 7.3, then I migrated to Powerstrokes, have owned 5 or 6 PSDs between my boys and me. My reason for going back to an IDI are a little different than most people. I decided I wanted to run WMO as an alternate fuel and after much reading and research it became obvious that an IDI will about burn any oil type product you put in its tank and a powerstroke is not near as friendly toward that. So, I bought the old 89 F250 for starters and then after success with WMO in it, I bought the 94 F350. Sold a nice 2003 F350 PSD Lariat when I made the switch.

Also, trained as a diesel tech many years ago, back when mechanical injection was the only system out there, so just a lot more familiar with the IDI fuel system. Also like the cost of IDI pumps/injectors compared to PSD.

And, with the right mods a turbo IDI will have a power level comparable to a stock OBS powerstroke.

Last edited:

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, it was my first diesel truck and my first experience with a diesel engine. I love the simplicity of the design and of course the lack of truck payments.

If something breaks its pretty simple to replace and inexpensive to buy.

I'm going to eventually add an ext cab or crew cab to the fleet here, it's probably also going to be an IDI, but a turbo IDI this time.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my idi because i was tired of dodge, i had my dodge gasser and it was fun but always working on that damn thing, i wanted to get back into a ford full size pickup and wanted a cclb, but wanted fuel mileage as well, got introduced to the idi by darrin, almost bought one from him and then i looked and found another that i got, haven't had any serious problems like the dodge did, and it sure does sound nice having that idi sound,

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much how i look at it.

This is an idi. Nothing fancy, serves a purpose, gets the job done.
You must be registered for see images

This is the new diesel engines. they're fancy, costs a lot of money, probably not as durable, has lots of features i don't need or like, and some people just don't like them (like me).
You must be registered for see images attach

No offense to anyone that wears either of the two items posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online