why do you drive a idi?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I love both my Dmax's but its just not the same.

My 6.5's pull just as good IMO and there is just something about hearing an idi engine crack off and rattle the walls in below freezing temps that is more satisfying than my dmax rumbling to life like it is 70 out.

Mpg is great

I can buy a whole 6.5l truck or nearly new engine for the price of dmax injectors.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
david85;834405As an industrial electronics technician said:
ANY newer diesel is:
[/B]
MECHANICAL FUEL INJECTION!!!

A powerstroke or other electronic engine needs to sense crank or cam position before it can fire.

An IDI will squirt as soon as the crank is moving, and that means lest wasted cranking amps when you need them most.

Its also very rare to ever have a failure mode in a mechanical system where you lose all function and operation. With an IDI, like any other mechanical system, there are a always warning signs before breakdown leaves you stranded. Whether the operator can pick up on them, is another matter though.

I know electronics are supposed to be more reliable then mechanical moving parts. As the old saying goes, if it moves, it will eventually fail. In the real world, electronics can fail without warning well inside their projected service life. You can make electronic devices much more complex then mechanical, and that gives rise to more thing that can go wrong. When they do, its usually expensive.

Can't tell you how many new EFI cars I've seen dead and getting towed with healthy engines cranking over fast with good compression, but no spark. Failed crank or cam position sensors. One of the many reasons I won't touch EFI, too many things that can break and when they break the only way to make it run is replace the failed part, if you're lucky enough to figure out what failed and be near an open parts store that actually stocks it. Never had that problem with a carb and points or mechanical injections.

Whenever I witness this and diagnose the problem for the yuppies that drive new vehicles and have these problems I point out that's why I drive old junk, it just plain works and never leaves me stranded. Typical response is something along the lines of a rant about a warranty or AAA. No thanks, I'd rather not be inconvenienced at best or at worst lose income AND be out a tow/parts/service/etc.

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is why.
You must be registered for see images attach

want a 4 door bronco body?

Good bottle of bourbon, and a road trip to ID, you're an owner.

And Evan Williams 1.75l constitutes "good bottle" lol.

It's titled........................

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I witness this and diagnose the problem for the yuppies that drive new vehicles and have these problems I point out that's why I drive old junk, it just plain works and never leaves me stranded. Typical response is something along the lines of a rant about a warranty or AAA. No thanks, I'd rather not be inconvenienced at best or at worst lose income AND be out a tow/parts/service/etc.

Here's something else you can tell them: If your vehicle is under warranty, you don't own it. If your vehicle isn't paid off, It owns you.

Bashing aside though, most people on the road don't want to know how something works, they just want to know it works: Show me where to sign so you can tell me everything will be fine...:rolleyes:

I better stop now LOL

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrenches will be ready. It's (the body) in my way... need to lop 40" outta the frame so it fits under the body of my Land rover.....

The original English Farm implement will be "Powered By I.H."... FTW!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
want a 4 door bronco body?

Good bottle of bourbon, and a road trip to ID, you're an owner.

And Evan Williams 1.75l constitutes "good bottle" lol.

It's titled........................

sounds interesting! but im gonna have to pass.
1) i need another project like i need a hole in the head.
i just finished this badboy and i want to enjoy it a bit before i put it under the knife again.
2) i cant drink the hard stuff no more. i tend to black out and cant remember a damn thing i did.
ive heard violent storys that scare me lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online