WHOAAA DADDY! New Injectors = new truck

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put a set of new BB injectors in. I've had truck for 5 years and have no previous service history. The old ones were Italian Stanadynes and looked pretty charry-gunked up. Truck always ran okay, but lately cranked longer before starting and seemed a little smokier and poochish. Now, this baby torques!! Probably 20 extra hp. It will even break them loose when empty on dry pvmt (E4OD)! 2 questions: Did H20 pump at same time - how much VC- 8 cooling system additive should I put in on a dry system? I put 16 oz in - that's close, but should I go rich or lean with this stuff?? Also, is there any value in my old injectors?? I hate to just scrap them... Thanks --Andy

stevedrums

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish i had done before and after, when i bought new injectors. but i put a new injector pump and injectors before i even ran the truck when i bought it...
(it didn't run when i picked it up)
the old injectors looked terrible!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I use the Ford SCA additative and I believe alomst 2 bottles are required. You can buy test strips rather reasonably also. I get both from Napa. Good luck with your new injectors, they do make a big difference.:thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take them apart and keep the shims, they are hard to get out but are almost unobtanium.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soon as it's out of the radiator shop I gonna use Cat SCA in it. I got a bottle at work. Looks like 8 oz. should do it. It had a pin-hole so the PO dumped Stopleak in it.cookoo I hate that stuff!! Core is like new.;Sweet

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Funny you posted this. Yesterday I put in the 8 new BB code injectors that I got from Mel, along with a custom fuel supply line he sells. Now my 88 runs so smooth and quiet, it's like driving a whole different truck! It's incredible what new flow-matched injectors will do. Before, when i started the truck, it would cough and puke blue smoke for several seconds. Now it fires off instantly, and you can hardly tell the engine is running. I picked up my youngest sister after I got everything done. When she got in, she asked if I had bought a new engine!

Ive owned 6 IDI's, and never has any of them ran like a car. I've always bought cheap reman injectors too. They never seemed to make a difference in how it ran. I just assumed IDI's were rough runners. But now, I know what a real fuel system can do. Pure magic! Thank you Mel once again for your services.

Last edited:

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I put my new 2000 psi Uhauls in with a reman IP turned up 3 flats two weeks ago, went from 3 MPG up to around 20 ;Sweet;Sweet and that is just kinda sorta static timed.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used two pints of Luberfiner. I saw Wix's cool at a local parts house. Looks like there are at least five different brands

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you guys are enjoying your tune-up's. If your running these new injectors against an older pump, and if you don't have access to a timing meter, you may just try advancing your pump about 1/16" to compensate for the higher pop presure. Just be sure to mark where it is now so you can get it back to exactly where it is if things don't improve.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
If I get people interested, at the rally I am putting mels bb codes in. I do plan on dynoing it, but if people pitch in the whopping 45bucks I will dyno it twice. One with the stock 105000 miles factory g codes then put the new injectors in and dyno it again. See how much I gain from new squirters.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get people interested, at the rally I am putting mels bb codes in. I do plan on dynoing it, but if people pitch in the whopping 45bucks I will dyno it twice. One with the stock 105000 miles factory g codes then put the new injectors in and dyno it again. See how much I gain from new squirters.

I'll pay you the $45 if you put those Bb injectors in my engine :sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've got them held for you Corey. ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

i gained almost no seat of the pants improvement with new injectors but i never tweaked the timing either. i am also still running what i believe to be the original injection pump at 190k. i have a feeling that it is what holding me back just got to save my pennies.