White smoke-no start

jkeller3

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a problem that started all of a sudden.
Yesterday morning, truck started great. No problems.

After work yesterday went out to start truck and no go. Spins over like normal, glow plugs cycle like normal.

Here are my questions.
1. During spinning white smoke would pour out the exhaust. Smelled like raw fuel-not exhaust.
2. Checked for fuel at the schraeder valve. No fuel. Even after cranking.
3. Checked for any wet spots by return lines, caps, and injectors. Nothing.

I have not pulled the fuel filter, to see if it is not completely full.

I have bought a new Holley Red pump. I think that is my root cause, old pump has 200k and never missed a beat!
What size fuel line do I run from the pump to the filter head? Rubber line or something special?

Thanks all, I need to get my truck back on the road.

John

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
sounds like a leaky injector( or two) . you lost prime whilst sittting and wound up with a bunch of raw fuel in a hole or two but the rest aren't getting anything. I bet if you cranked it for a bit with the gas pedal mashed to the floor it would fire once the air got out. The raw fuel smell makes me think that your lift pump is OK, Now if you were kaving a no fire , no fuel at all, then the lift pump would be a possibility

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The usual mounting location for the Holley is down on the frame. Right after the tank selector valve. There's already one hole in the frame for ya. You only have to drill one other hole. Then use the OEM fuel line. You just have to cut out a piece as wide as the Holley body/nipples. Heat the fuel line with a heat gun, and slide the fuel lines over the nipples.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the temperature? What for fuel are you running? White smoke that clears up and goes away while cranking is an indication that your not getting fuel. Typical of a heavy WMO mix. If you have a Holley Red, you should get fuel at the schrader if the pump is running. If it is running, and you have no fuel, I'd look for an upstream obstruction.

jkeller3

Reaction score
fuel all overthe place

Help,

I cut the fuel line to put in my holley red. In front of the fuel selector valve. Fuel is coming out by the gallon.

Any way to get this to stop???

John

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
A pair of locking pliers with rubber hose slipped on the jaws and set just tight enough to stop the flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online