white smoke and tune up kit

Fordrunner

Reaction score
good morning i have a 85 f350 with 6.9 idi. first problem i have is whit smoke coming out of exhaust after i shift and step on the gas. was wondering what it might be and how to fix it. second was wondering what the best tune up kit is for this engine. any help would be appreciated thank you.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are not losing coolant, the white smoke is probably raw unburned fuel.

Fordrunner

Reaction score
is that good or bad and how do i fix it. also i forgot to mention earlier in m post that is also does it on start up.

Fordrunner

Reaction score
good morning again i just wanted to put an update on here about the white smoke problem i was having yesterday. checked the coolant and the level is where it should be. i did a little more research and found that it could be inoperative glow plugs. so i pulled all the glow plugs and found that the tips were burnt. had a spare set of plugs for this truck replaced the plugs and the white smoked stopped so fixed that problem. now on my way in to work i had found when the truck is parked and at idle that there is now blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust and a little bit of blue smoke when i am driving. i noticed yesterday when i was replacing the glow plugs that my injectors were rusted and that could be the problem. let me know what you guys think. thank you.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust on the outside shouldn't hurt the inside of the injector. Have you driven this truck much? How much oil does it use?

Fordrunner

Reaction score
Franklin2
I run this truck during the week back and forth to work. I run it About 700 miles a week. And it also burns about a quart a week

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your blue smoke is probably that quart of oil going out the tailpipe. There can be fueling problems that cause blue smoke, but certainly your oil burning is contributing to it.

Do you get a huffing or spitting noise at the tailpipe when it's idling? If you do you may have worn valve guides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1