White belching smoke on 600 at startup

epin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's a common problem related more than likely to a leaking injector. I suspect the injector leaks overnight then the diesel which seeps in is burned off during startup.

anybody have any thoughts on this? and why it only happens when it's cold.

600 2004.5 3rd gen.

my 2003 SO doesn't do it neither have any of my other diesels.

I might try an additive to see if it helps.

epin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PowerStroker444
You may need TSB 18-037-04 performed on your truck.

I had it done and it just recently started the smoking stuff. I never really had a problem with it before the tsb or after until recently. I'll have to check the tsb# but I'm pretty sure it was 18-37-4.

epin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep it was 18-37-04 done back in october.

I guess it's going to warming up down here in the south so as long as it's still running like a bat out of hell, I'll just live with it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've seen some injector issues with these...alot...99.9% you have an injector leaking down like you said...but good luck pinpointing which one. check your oil too..make sure its not overfull..if it is smell it, the o-rings around the injectors split and fill the crankcase full of fuel and hydrolock the engine.

bagged89

Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
i've seen some injector issues with these...alot...99.9% you have an injector leaking down like you said...but good luck pinpointing which one. check your oil too..make sure its not overfull..if it is smell it, the o-rings around the injectors split and fill the crankcase full of fuel and hydrolock the engine.

Why are the injecotrs doing this? My dads truck had the same problem. we didn't realize anything was wrong until when sitting at idle the low oil pressure light came on and we noticed that it was ******* oil on the ground from somewhere. Its happened more then once. what is the cause of the problem. His is a 2005 3500 auto and its also a HO theres also less then 13000kms on it

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few reasons...reason 1, they werent torqued correctly during installation, 2 too much cylinder pressure caused by power adders, the new gen cummins dont take well to alot of power adders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony