Which transmission do I have?

NHBaler

Reaction score
I have a '85 1 ton with the 6.9 and a 4 speed transmission and I found out that my problem is the front 2 gears I think that one of them is the counter shaft are almost stripped off, and I cannot find on the transmission if it is a T-18 or T-19,it is a berg warner and has some numbers on the side,How do I know which one it is so I can get some parts and where would be a good place to find these gears? Thanks

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the T-19 was syncronized in all 4 forward gears while the T-18 first gear was not syncronized.

there should be a tag on one of the bolts holding the top cover down, if not there there should be some casting numbers in the top cover to usually 13-01 if i remember for the T-18.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the T-18 was ever placed behind a diesel on these trucks. My '84 shop manual tried to tell me that I had a T-18 in my truck; I think this was a typo (it wasn't the only one I've found).

You SHOULD have a T-19. Does it look anything like this? :)

Attachments

• t19.jpg
    t19.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 4

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is that T18 and T19 are essentially the same transmission. Let's call them 2 versions of the same model.

The T19 comes with the diesel, it has a higher first gear than the T18, and first is synchronized. Also the T19 has PTO ports on both sides, where the T18 only has a PTO port on the passenger side.

Here's some good reading on the different versions of the T18 and T19 http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the full nomenclature for our T-19 is the T-19B. The B being what makes it for our diesel.

NHBaler

Reaction score
Yes it looks alot like that one and I need to check again but I think it only has one pto plate on the passenger side. I bought this truck used a few years back and it is possible that the transmission has been changed. Thanks

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's perfectly conceivable that a bad transmission was replaced with one from a gasser.

If my wrecker didn't use a drivers' side PTO driven hydraulic pump, I'd switch to a gasser trans for the lower first gear.