which battery?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is almost as bad as which oil but I have it narrowed down to 2 choices I think. Going with group 31's. I can get these Duracell batteries for $99.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli31sa

They have a store close to work so its not too bad and a 10% off sale if I order online and pickup in store making it even cheaper. I can't find much info on the Duracell batteries. Seems Sam's club carries them too. The warranty isn't great but I'm finding that is standard on commercial type batteries. It's 18 months replacement but I don't see anything about a prorated replacement after that. That battery is 950 cca and 1170 cranking amps. They have a 1000 cca version for $149 which I'm not sure the extra 50 amps is worth the extra cost when the truck only calls for 750-850 anyway.

The other option I see handy is a NAPA commercial group 31.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NBP7236/NBP7236

This one is available at my closest NAPA at $107. It seems to be basically the same battery with a different sticker. It has a slightly better warranty as it is 18 months and then prorated but for how long I don't know. Their math doesn't work for me so I am probably missing something.

The third option I had looked at was an Exide from TSC but I have been told not great things about them.

I really don't want to spend $500 in batteries right now. Anybody have any comment on these? I know there has been talk from Scott about picking up "rejects" or "seconds" or whatever they were from I think it was an Interstate battery store. Whatever it was (I looked it up at the time), the closest store was like 100 miles 1 way so not really a great option.

Thanks folks.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I'd get which ever one you think would be easier to return if something goes bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batteries are simple mechanisms; lead plates and acid. I used to buy batteries based on weight, the heavier the better (CCAs). I still believe this today, until they change battery components.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought exide was one of the better brands?
Most are made by the same company anyways. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will both work great. Like said above, choose the one which is easiest to replace under warranty or has the longest one. If those are the same, get the heavier of the two and you are golden!

I ran 31's in my truck and they will be running in my bronco, I love the reserve capacity and the extra cranking amps.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably napa cause if go some place n chooch a battery...easier to get replacement....

JM7.3CW Eh!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just run like 200 9 volt batteries!
if one goes bad its cheap to replace it.
but it can be a wiring nightmare :rotflmao

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just put new ones in 87, group 26 I believe? walmart 99$ and there always open for replacement if needed! 3 year free replace, p.o. had larger group size battery didnt fit in tray properly, edge of tray wore thru started leaking, they were taller also close to hood, they were 5 yrs old anyway.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the two batteries I linked above appear to be identical. All the specs are exactly the same. If you look at pics they are the same except the sticker on the front. So it's about $36 dollars different. The difference is warranty but only slightly. Both are 18 month replacement. Napa in theory has a graduated warranty after that but I can't find out how long.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Then get the cheaper one, I've never had issues with batteries personally.

It's all the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not walk into a real truck stop shop along any interstate... See what the big semi rigs use. I usually see a pallet full of them at a truck parts store I shop at.

redvetracr

Reaction score
I believe Sam`s club Duracell`s are made by Deka, good stuff if what I read is correct

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online