Which 3G alternator?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well without knowing what belt setup you have I'm guessing at this...

V belt

So ya there is a couple different case and bolt sizes and usually you want the large case with the widest spaced mounting holes at 12 and 6 oclock respectively....IIRC there is info in the TECH forum area...

Don't get stud mount which has three bolt holes perpendicular to the axis of the alternators shaft

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok the heart of my question is this. 1990-1993 is one alternator on DB electic's website. 1994-1996 are another alternator. They both should be the 8.25" mounting style that will work for a v-belt mount. They both have the same plugs, orientation, amperage, etc. There are slight visual differences in the case, but nothing drastic.

So what is the difference?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok the heart of my question is this. 1990-1993 is one alternator on DB electic's website. 1994-1996 are another alternator. They both should be the 8.25" mounting style that will work for a v-belt mount. They both have the same plugs, orientation, amperage, etc. There are slight visual differences in the case, but nothing drastic.

So what is the difference?

I checked your links and without seeing the FRONT I cannot make a recommendation.

I am not entirely sure what the difference is in the two shown.

I know this is not diesel but...check here,

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=75

This guy knows his stuff...maybe buy one from him too????

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it will help but, I have a 95 taurus alt on mine. 8.25" case, was a sepentine belt on the car. I removed the pulley & ground the 3 ribs down some so that the v-pulley would clear. I think the difference is the lenght of the rotor shaft but don't hold me to it.
Best upgrade that I have done for the money!! My Gr31's love the amps!!

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you will need to reclock it. I got mine at pick n pull for $25 & it had the rebuilder tags on it. Nice and shining, probilibly less than 3 month old.