where to get a down pipe

sassyrel

Reaction score
Obviously you want mandrel bends vs crimp bends. (quote)

yuppp, agree. brother had a tube bender--SUCKED!!!! NOT mandrel bends!!!! do it this way, as the non-mandrel you will lose a lot of flow.

sootman73

Reaction score
i was thinking the header tape would give the pipe more rigidity, isnt flex pipe kind of floppy, and to keep it leak free. did you cut off the factory lip at the v clamp and et a 2.5 to 3 inch adapter?

well after putting the original foil type heat guards back on it it really stiffened everything up. i used a metabo to cut off the flare on the original. then i had some 2 3/4" pipe that it slid quite tight into. welded that all up tight and leak free. then i welded the 3 in flex(after cutting some notches out of it so i could reduce it down to the 2 3/4". welded that up and ground all the extra off. if you do this make sure you are careful that your weld of the flare to the 2 3/4" doesn't get to close to the flare or the v band clamp wont fit flush around the flare.

if i were to do this again i would have the 2 3/4" expanded on the one end so the flex would fit tighter before welding.(wasn't an option last night)

i recently talked to someone from ats and they quoted me $575 for the downpipe, outlet housing, and turbo housing (i think thats what its called)... He said he'd be glad to take the order for me but he's not sure when I would get the items. basicly.... i give him money and he gives me nothing.... I didn't like the deal and hung up the phone. My local exhaust shop that normally does anything said they couldn't fab one up for me and didn't even want to "modify" the cab to fit a larger one in. GRRR... i want a 3 in DP and a new exhaust!

yea i couldn't get my local shop to make it for me either. said he didn't have a pattern in his little computer so he couldn't do it. then i find out that he has huge bias against fords and diesels. not going back to that guy ever!-cuss

zpd307

Reaction score
i found elsewhere, a guy who cuts off a good chunk of the exhaust housing and then welds on a 3 inch stainless steel bend. he is doing this for the 2.3 turbo fords which use the same t3 five bolt exhaust housing. looks slick and is only asking $90.00. you have to send in your old housing. i emailed him, but got no response. i know i posted a link here, but cant find it now.....

sootman73

Reaction score
if your stock housing is the one that came from the factory then no it will not fit. you would have to get the ATS turbo housing to use their downpipe.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
wooowwwwwzahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cookoo

Uh dont quote me on that..Its mandrel bent..fits like a glove. Heck other websites were charging just as much if not more after shipping. I dont even know if thats even the right place. I used a place between Benbrook and Cresson Tx know as Wiskey flats, whatever the name of the place may be.

zpd307

Reaction score
if your stock housing is the one that came from the factory then no it will not fit. you would have to get the ATS turbo housing to use their downpipe.

but if you cut off the oe flange and use a 2.5 to 3 inch adapter, it should work. you might have to tweak the pipe close to the flange to clear part of the head. unless someone knows somehing different.....