where to buy ARP studs for the 7.3 idi

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok Ive decided to put in arp studs in my truck where the best place to get studs for the 7.3 idi any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
ARP does not offer a stud kit for our motors but... They offer a 7 inch stud. The part number is AR7.00-LB... This is a stud 1/2 13 threads on the bottom and 1/2 20 threads on the top. The nuts are ARN12-1 and the washers are ARW78N. Be careful when you install them. The instructions are to torque them tight and loosen them up 5 times. Thats a lot of work. What your doing is decreasing the friction between the threads, nut and washer. It does make a big differance in final torque. My studs and nuts moved about 3/4 turn when I was done... They also sell a great molly lube which will reduce the friction too. In their instructions they show the differance in 30 wt oil and the molly lube. The torque is 130 lbs with 30 wt oil and 100 lbs with the molly lube. Thats a big differance when you do 34 studs. And doing it 6 times is lots of work. Use an old head gasket for this torqueing and loosening. What I did was I used a old head and a used head gasket. Installed all the studs and tightened them. Then loosened them 5 times. Its a lot of work but like I posted... Its well worth it. All this info in on their web site too. Another member didn't do this and nothing has happened with his final torque. He boosts high and hauls heavy but... I go that extra mile for my sanity. I can't afford a breakdown on the road with 1/2 a million dollars worth of hosres in the trailer going to a show. We have a time schedule too. When you call ARP they wont have any idea what your talking about when asking for a stud kit for our 7.3 idi motor. They might even try to sell you a 7.3 psd kit so be careful about that too. My invoice number was 0487144-N in 1-25-08... Salesman number was 9999... Hope this helps you get the good stuff....:sly

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
What about the 6.9 ? As im looking into studding my motor as well, and also icanfixall what kind of shows do you do ? I do barrels and poles, ive also done a little english haha

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ARP has studs for the 6.9, and I believe the break-in proceedure is the same. So Gary, your basically saying that what needs to happen is that the bolts need to get some wear on them to torque properly. This could be done in a jig made for this purpose couldn't it? That would save a lot of back muscle when doing an in-frame.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Trapper. We do the Arabian horse shows as far as Regina Sask. That show is called the Canadian Nationals. We also do the US Nationals at Tulsa Ok. Then there is all the regional shows all around so ca and many in Az. More shows than I have money thats for sure...:D ARP sells a kit for the 6.9 motors but. They charge more for it than many other places. I think Summit sells it around $75.00 less because they buy volume from ARP... Mel. If you can make a jig that would be the thing to do. I tried but without a machine shop handy mine didn't work too well. So I used an old head and head gasket I had. What your doing is breaking down the friction between the threads, nut and washer. Then these studs are good to be reused many times over without failure or breakage. I used 110 lbs of torque on my build. Glad I did seeing that I have 530 lbs of compression and boost to 12 lbs. Just be sure to use the ARP thread lube or you will be working way too hard torquing down these studs.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to build motors for a living, many of them having ARP studs throughout. In more critical areas, the big one being the main studs, it does matter that you go through the suggested torque cycles, as it has an affect on the size of the main bearing bores. On head studs, we would take em out of the package, install them in the block (hand tight only), then torque the heads down. Run the motor for a little while, re-torque the heads, and never worry about them again. Only time the head studs might back off a bit was on a motor with a cast iron block and aluminum heads. Do keep in mind these were full race motors that were gone through every year or two.
I've used hundreds of sets of ARP studs in heads, main caps, rod caps, etc. and the only failure I saw was a couple rocker studs get bent.....and all of the related valve train parts were turned into shrapnel. Even with studs that were used and transfered from motor to motor held up fine. In fact, I've seen a few motors experience a "catastrophic failure" and the biggest chunk left of the bottom end of the motor was where the stud or bolt was still holding the 2 pieces together.
ARP definitely makes quality stuff.

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARP does not offer a stud kit for our motors but... They offer a 7 inch stud. The part number is AR7.00-LB... This is a stud 1/2 13 threads on the bottom and 1/2 20 threads on the top. The nuts are ARN12-1 and the washers are ARW78N. Be careful when you install them. The instructions are to torque them tight and loosen them up 5 times. Thats a lot of work. What your doing is decreasing the friction between the threads, nut and washer. It does make a big differance in final torque. My studs and nuts moved about 3/4 turn when I was done... They also sell a great molly lube which will reduce the friction too. In their instructions they show the differance in 30 wt oil and the molly lube. The torque is 130 lbs with 30 wt oil and 100 lbs with the molly lube. Thats a big differance when you do 34 studs. And doing it 6 times is lots of work. Use an old head gasket for this torqueing and loosening. What I did was I used a old head and a used head gasket. Installed all the studs and tightened them. Then loosened them 5 times. Its a lot of work but like I posted... Its well worth it. All this info in on their web site too. Another member didn't do this and nothing has happened with his final torque. He boosts high and hauls heavy but... I go that extra mile for my sanity. I can't afford a breakdown on the road with 1/2 a million dollars worth of hosres in the trailer going to a show. We have a time schedule too. When you call ARP they wont have any idea what your talking about when asking for a stud kit for our 7.3 idi motor. They might even try to sell you a 7.3 psd kit so be careful about that too. My invoice number was 0487144-N in 1-25-08... Salesman number was 9999... Hope this helps you get the good stuff....:sly

thanks I really appreciate your help and the info!;Sweet