Where to begin? 7.3 IDI sitting for a year.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
marmot, it sounds like you may have found the problem. :thumbsup: I can see why you would be stoked. You are so close to getting it started.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Ya well we'll see eh? I was very glad to see how clean that pump was on the inside, no corrosion or lacquer of any kind, I anticipate that the injectors are probably in the same shape. The glow plugs are working and the engine sounds like it has compression so I am hopeful. Still have under a grand invested so not too great a loss if it's a dud. I am really looking forward to getting the truck running so I can take it to the carwash and spray out the interior, I am over the sheep smell:puke:. Thanks again for all the help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya well we'll see eh? I was very glad to see how clean that pump was on the inside, no corrosion or lacquer of any kind, I anticipate that the injectors are probably in the same shape. The glow plugs are working and the engine sounds like it has compression so I am hopeful. Still have under a grand invested so not too great a loss if it's a dud. I am really looking forward to getting the truck running so I can take it to the carwash and spray out the interior, I am over the sheep smell:puke:. Thanks again for all the help.

really? you have not put baking soda in it yet? i woulda done that #1!!!
be prepared for that wet sheep smell lol

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
really? you have not put baking soda in it yet? i woulda done that #1!!!
be prepared for that wet sheep smell lol

I did not know if I was even going to keep it. The thing is it really needs to have the floors power washed and vacuumed at the car wash to get all the hair, mouse turds and dirt out of the carpet, then I will start to clean seats with old fashioned washing soda and dawn, then wipe down all the plastic, and then and only then I will load it up with baking soda.

Just ordered the missing parts at Bozeman Ford the IP to line connector prt number E8TZ 9B254 A and the hard line to the filter part number E8TZ 9L273 B and the oring E3TZ 9N693 A

The only part I could not order was the fuel filter housing to hard line connector, which is obsolete. If anyone has one of these fittings lying around I am interested. I stopped at the scrap yard and the guy looked at me like I was crazy when I told him what I needed. There were no ford diesel trucks in the yard.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the line from the filter to the IP or the filter to the lift pump?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
filter to IP, I bought the line I just need the adaptor that threads into the filter housing.

Just realized I do have the adapter for the filter inlet where the hard line from the lift pump attaches, are the fittings the same on both sides of the filter? If they are the same I'm set because the facet pump set up with a soft line has replaced the LP to IP hard line.

Last edited:

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Idiot,

I took a couple hours and scrubbed er up a bit. 2lbs of baking soda on the carpet, scrubbed the seats with washing soda, and wiped down all the surfaces with washing soda. I armorall'd the plastic and the truck looks damn good, no broken plastic that I could find just missing a few door panel clips, the plastic door latch handle cover on the drivers,and the seat tilt handle cover on both sides. I took a few minutes just now and the I pulled the drivers door panel and pushed out the huge dent, it popped out straight like it was never there.;Sweet Tomorrow I am going to pull the rear side valence and push out the other dent in the cab. The sheep smell is still there but it is much(x50) more tolerable to be inside of. With the dent in the door gone it looks very presentable. Parts arrive from FMC on thursday so I will revisit starting it on thursday or friday.

I called ford this afternoon and the inlet and outlet adapters are different, the outlet is a 45ish fitting the inlet is a 90.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
just found some handy pics to help with the pump install,

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for future reference, the IP inlet is -5 sae oring. common hydraulic size. If you need the filter out fitting I likely have one, also I do still have one setup to convert it to a quality push on flex line. But since you have the hardline parts coming you should be fine.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Thanks Typ4 I appreciate the offer, just sent you a pm. I am pulling the rear seat tonight so I can remove the drivers rear valence to push the other dent. I hope it goes like the door did, I will try to get a pic or two, I'm a mason and my droid's camera got crushed by a stone so I need to dig out my old digi if I can find it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That brass missing fitting will be available at most injection pump repair shops. The threads on the end that connects to the pump cone is 1/2x20 machine threads with the o ring that seals it to the pump cone. Knuckledragger and I found this out one day a few years ago. It sure sounds like you might have found the reason it wont run but figuring out why the lady said it just quit running may be a tuff deal to find.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
That brass missing fitting will be available at most injection pump repair shops. The threads on the end that connects to the pump cone is 1/2x20 machine threads with the o ring that seals it to the pump cone. Knuckledragger and I found this out one day a few years ago. It sure sounds like you might have found the reason it wont run but figuring out why the lady said it just quit running may be a tuff deal to find.

Thank you for the parts info, I just picked up the hard line and related parts at the ford dealer and just finished installing the adaptor fitting in the pump cone. It was funny, before I would turn the pump by hand and it was near silent, I pulled the flare fitting they'd installed and you can here an audibel sucking sound when you rotate it. As far as the truck running, it did run fine I was told. The PO said it started one morning last january and then died, she had to crank a bunch to restart it so she DROVE it to the shop and requested An IP and injectors. The truck was never going to start with the ip fuel line installed like that, At least I will have fuel at the injectors now the good lord willing and we will see how it runs. The oil had been changed less than 500miles before it was dropped off it must have been running.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That hard line from the filter outlet to the injection pump inlet is 5/16 tube. If you still can't find the fitting at the filter outlet side just get a fitting with a hose barb on one end and a pipe thread on the other end. Sorry I don't recall the pipe thread size. Might be 3/8 pipe but not sure. Might be 1/4 inch too. I know its an odd size.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I just bought the hard line from ford so I'll give that a try first, If it doesn't work I'll look for the hosebarb fittings. I am pretty hopeful that tomorrow the old gal will fire off. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online