Where to add coolant temp gauge sender?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is everyone adding their temp gauge senders when adding an aftermarket coolant temp gauge? I want to keep all the factory senders functional still. Can I add a pipe t-fitting on one of them and use that for the factory fitting and the aftermarket fitting? Or I think I noticed two pipe fittings on the water pump. One gets a heater hose and the other was plugged. Could the sender go there?

Just looking for suggestions on how to add another sender and keep all the factory senders still working.

Thanks
Jeremy

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
The location that I used was on the driver's side about halfway. There will be a plug installed on the driver's side head that is in the same place
as the passenger side head that has the heater hose coming off of (the heads are a mirror image of each other). Take the plug out and add your gauge sender.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Using the head for the sender location will give a hotter reading. The last position on the heads is about 5 to 7 degrees hotter than what the thermostat sees. Under the injection pump is a blend coolant passage. Both heads will combine there and then sees the thermostat.. The flow goes into the block at the back of the cylinders. Or it flows underand around the cylinders. Then up thru the heads from the back to the front. Then across the front of the block under the injection pump and out the thermostat. I use the stock sender location just to the drivers side of the injection pump and then I installed the factory sender in the water pump open location. I still have the head over temp sender and the dash gauge continues to read but its slightly lower because it now seeing the coolant thats been thru the radiater. There is no problem with the sender in the pump contacting the water pump impeller either.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the head plugs as posted above. They are male square head plugs, which makes them less than easy to remove. Especially with the exhaust manifolds in the way. I have the senders in the rear passenger's side head.

Again, sucks to get to, but accurate and you can keep the factory sender at the front of the drivers head so your factory gauge still works.

Heath

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ive got a couple of little pipes with fittings that go in the upper rad hose for gauges and fan switches. Its nice to see the actual temp going into the rad

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the coolant flow of an IDI 1st pic, 2nd is the oil flow.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI Coolant_flow.jpg
    7.3 IDI Coolant_flow.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 23

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I have mine in the factory overheat location. I would rather have an actual gauge with numbers then a light showing me that I have toasted the engine

Reaction score
I have mine in the factory overheat location. I would rather have an actual gauge with numbers then a light showing me that I have toasted the engine

I'm using the same location on mine. Mine generally runs about 205°±5°F once it's completely warmed up. At first I was concerned that it was running hot, but icanfixall's post explains why my gauge shows it running a bit warmer than you'd think. Hottest I've seen yet is 230°F, and that was while towing a load up a hill with the AC on and lugging it (wanted to see when the fan would kick in).

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726