where did my oil go?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Yesterday I checked my oil...it was at the extreme bottom of the dipstick, not even close to the add line. I last checked the oil a month ago...I know, bad form. So I'm losing almost 1.5gal a month! I see no major leaks, a drip or two from the rear seal maybe, but that's all. The truck smokes a little when cold, but I think that's more of a fuel thing, so I'm not burning an abnormal amount of oil. I'm replacing the CDR today ($76 from Int), since I was 5 qts low I figure it will pay itself off by next oil change. Are there any other things I can do to reduce oil consumption (besides an engine rebuild)?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Yesterday I checked my oil...it was at the extreme bottom of the dipstick, not even close to the add line. I last checked the oil a month ago...I know, bad form. So I'm losing almost 1.5gal a month! I see no major leaks, a drip or two from the rear seal maybe, but that's all. The truck smokes a little when cold, but I think that's more of a fuel thing, so I'm not burning an abnormal amount of oil. I'm replacing the CDR today ($76 from Int), since I was 5 qts low I figure it will pay itself off by next oil change. Are there any other things I can do to reduce oil consumption (besides an engine rebuild)?

just because it dont smoke blue like a gasser dont mean your not using it, a diesel is gonna burn the oil just like fuel so you wont ever notice anything is going on, unless you burn like 1 gallon a mile you might notice that but your engine would probly run away on that much oil

Possible places it could go would be around thr rings, or around the valve seal, you could change them if the cdr dont help, there cheaper than rebuilding the engine, you could always try running auto RX treatments, some people have good luck with it

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Change your brand of oil.

My truck used 2 gallon of oil in 1000 miles with rotella. :eek:

I switched to valvoline and it has not used a drop since;Sweet

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its funny how different trucks like different oils... Some oils the truck wont drip even a drop, others the truck drinks or spits out.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I run rotella in my truck, and it seems to work just fine, burning 1/2 a quart for every 5000 kilometers.Once, I used CHEAP supertech (walmart oil) before and it chewed up 2 liters in one change...not good oil!!!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that, actually I think this is Supertech brand oil. That might explain some of it. How do you guys feel about Delo? I can get it for cheap. Like, 12 qts for $25.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run the Delo 15w40 all the time but yesterday when I went to buy more the store was out...:mad: So my motor got its first oil change with Motorcraft 15w40 oil... We will see how this runs....

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run delo but ever since I switched to rotella I have seen less oil consumption. When I put a bypass on my rig I'm gonna go with amsoil

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive also seen the higher oil consumption with oil other than delo, does somebody have an explanation for this? Ive seen these motors go from non oil users to not being able to keep up with it in one oil change. Its very important to check very regularly.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find out what your truck likes. And no I don't have an explanation. there are wayy too many things to figure that out, I'm not a cosmologist

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, now I have seen IDIs that seemed fairly healthy and pulled hard that used anywhere from no oil at all between 5000 mile oil changes and 6 quarts every 200 miles. It's always the rings. If they are just carboned up or sticking the 2 auto RX treatments will greatly improve things, but if they are actually busted, cracked or worn out nothing but a rebuild will do anything much to help. How bad is your blowby with the oil filler cap off and most importantly how many miles and how much idling is on that engine in the time you burned those 5-6 quarts?? Also any CI or better rated oil works fine in these IDIs. Some burn one more than the other. Usually rotella (which is a pretty good oil) or the cheap no name oils see the most burnoff but then some trucks love rotella. If you can get CI or CI+ rated oil rather than the new CJ4 stuff that is probably somewhat better for an IDI since it doesn't need the low zinc for the emissions control equipment. Having said that, we pretty much determined here that nothing on an IDI will be hurt with the CJ4 oil, certainly not in typical 2500-5000 mile oil change intervals. It seems only the new trucks trying to run longer than 12,000 mile intervals risk trouble.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run the new rotella t6 synthetic 5w40 and ever since i started using it i havent seen a drop on the ground or burned any , but i have very little to no blowby on my truck and the motor only has about 78000 on it ... i would just try switchin to rotella and see what happens

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switching a high mileage motor to synthetic with no preparation is kinda risky. Since they are so good at cleaning up junk they can dislodge pieces of carbon and stic them places where they shouldn't be, like in our piston cooling jets. Oldmisterbill had this happen on one of his engines after a switch to synthetic with not so good results. Don't get me wrong I love synthetics. I switched my truck to amsoil at around 205,600 on the clock. I used the auto-rx treatments, 1 treatment followed by a normal oil rinse cycle followed by another treatment with regular oil, followed by another rinse with mineral oil. Altogether from inception to the synthetic switch it was about 8 months and 4 oil/filer change cycles. Even at that I realized it was an experiment and had the whole thing blown up there would have been no ill will towards RL or Amsoil or even Auto-Rx. I did it in the understanding that it was an experiment. Now the jury is still out on the results, but at least I didn't blow anything up or have massive oil leaks. I still have good oil pressure. Oil consumption may be slightly improved, but I still have a fair amount of blowby. Not terrible but certainly noticeable. I can't wait to see what Caterpillar's oil analysis says about the wear numbers. I pay careful attention to oil analysis but don't take it as the gospel truth. I've seen people get a clean bill of health with oil analysis and then throw a rod and other people, myself included get a very alarming oil report and then have many relatively trouble free miles ahead. I think the 5W-40 would be a little thin for anybody that has a lot of miles and the usual wear. Being synthetic it probably does have enough protection since it's only that 5 weight when cold, but couldn't that create a lot of wear and oil consumption on cold startups??? Anyway I can't wait to hear from CAT about my oil but I'm beginning to think the USPS lost it which would suck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726