When to expect auto tranny trouble

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a 1989 d350 with 75k miles. I'm wondering how long do the stock trannys last??? the motor is all stock, but the truck has been worked its 75k worth of life. I'm thinking It will need a tranny by 100k, but I have no experience with a dodge truck. Just looking for opinions... Thanks

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. This is what I was expecting, but never having had a Dodge truck I thought I should seek someone with experience. The current Owner tried to tell me it was good for 500k.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The truck itself is good for a half-million especially the engine. The slush box is good for 100k IF you change the oil regularly, don't overheat it, and don't turn up the fuel. The '89 would have the Torqueflight 727 3-speed auto.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Change the fluid and filter as soon as you get it. If the pan is clean you should be ok for many miles. Invest in a shift kit and a heavy duty transmission cooler at the same time.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Band adjustment is easy, one is inside the pan and one is external. Just google "727 band adjustment" or similar and you should find instructions. From my limited experience with the 727 behind a Cummins, they NEED a good torque converter. They don't even do a very good job of holding stock power. If the trans is good now, go for a shift kit and a high efficiency, lower stall converter. Everyone raves about the Transgo shift kits, I don't have any suggestions as far as converters go. I think if the trans is addressed, the truck will FEEL like it's been turned up compared to stock.
Travis..