When it rains it pours, fuel, literally

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I removed the valve covers and checked all the rocker arms/valves for wear and excessive play. They are all in seemingly good condition fortunately. While I was in there so to speak I went ahead and changed my fuel heater o-ring that was leaking. Piece of cake. I also put on a new WIX fuel filter. I reassembled everything, bled the fuel system and restarted to truck. There was a drip of fuel off the bottom of the filter. So I figured that maybe the water drain seal was leaking because I had just disturbed everything and put that on my list of things to fix.

Fast forward to today. No puddles under the truck and it starts right up. Must not be leaking too much. No noticeable air in the system. So I am going down the highway and I start smelling diesel really strongly. This can't be good. Fuel gauge had been dropping faster than normal as well. 1/4 tank in 30 miles. As I am near my destinination I just go there and pop the hood. Fuel is pouring out of the filter. It's coming from in between the water sensor/ drain cap and the bottom of the filter. I put in the new o-ring for that and was careful to make sure it stayed in the groove. Plus it was only a very minor drip after it was assembled.

So, I go get another new filter and tell them that when I remove my current, badly leaking one I want them to warranty it. Hell it was 20 hours old. I am not sure what caused the catastrophic failure. No apparent damage to the filter. Must have been a defect. It was dripping right away but so little it was only accumulating on the bottom of the filter cap thing. (what's that supposed to be called anyway)

I installed the new one and it's dry now. No drips at all.

Also, and I'm excited about this, I filled the new filter with power service before installing it and the truck started right up and ran first shot.;Sweet I've not had good luck in that department before.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I give up. Drove 15 miles and started smelling fuel again really strongly. Pulled over and it's leaking again.:confused: :confused: Same place. I ran the truck for 15 minutes when I first installed it and not a drop. This is aggravating the hell out of me. It seems like I have had a continuous fuel leak since October. Everytime I fix one a new one appears within a day or two. And I haven't even started fooling with injectors yet. I think there is something like 50 potential leak points on this truck. I am sure before I stop the leak I'll have fixed 85. 20 of them twice and 5 3 times.

So I saw a post forever ago about a filter that eliminates the water sensor thingy from the whole assembly. It's supposed to fit right on the stock filter head. I am through screwing around with this one. As it sits there are 4 potential places to leak on the stock unit. That's 3 too many. So where can one of these be found? Edit; found it thanks Towcathttp://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18201&d=1198258183

If this were a gas vehicle it would have burned to the ground leaking this much fuel. Doesn't sound like a bad thing right now.

It's the only Ford I've owned (out of 5)that has fit the "fix or repair daily" joke that we've all heard. In fact I've done more work to this truck in 6 months than the other 4 combined. (total of 21 years of ownership)

I'm starting to want to put my 460 in here or swap the driveline (minus diesel) to my 78'. Maybe I'll just get the filter and quit complaining instead. Sorry for the rant.

And by the way I used to be a really good mechanic. But I can't seem to fix this truck worth a damn.:dunno

Last edited:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how is the surface on the lower cap?

Napa shows the filter for $18.67

I know what you mean, I have a long list of things that need work. Saw a used F550 (92K miles) this weekend, it was tempting, but thankfully my wallet said no.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of trucks I saw this a few minutes ago; http://houston.craigslist.org/car/587337133.html

If it were 4 wheel drive and within a $1000 of where it is there'd be an IDI for sale right now. I am that frustrated. It will pass I am sure. My truck runs to well on the highway. There's alot of good in it I'm just tired of working on it right now. I'd rather just pull it all apart and start a restoration than continue fighting little pissy details all the time.

Lower cap is in great condition. No pitting or corrosion beyond a slight discoloring that you always see on aluminum.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Baldwin BF 1222 has no bowl just a drain **** and will eliminate the water sensor. A BF1222 sp has the hole for the sensor still no bowl. I use the BF1222. Also I removed the fuel heaters and tapped the hole with a pipe tap screwed in a plug and have a nice day.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, does the water sensor require an o-ring or gasket. I didn't touch mine as I am hesitant to disturb anything that I don't have the part for and I don't know what else is in there.

And I will try to have a nice day. Thanks. When my wife called and told me about her day, riding horses with a friend and our kids, 2 and 6, I started feeling much better. Sucks working out of town sometimes.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.:thumbsup: I'm going to try the NAPA truck center near where I am working tomorrow and see if they have the wix model on hand. I will get the o-ring size once I get my hands on one. If I need to order a filter I may try the baldwin. If the wix doesn't have the o-ring I'm not getting it.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this morning I just went straight to O'Reilly nearest the apartment as I couldn't bear the thought of sitting in morning traffic leaking fuel so badly. As luck would have it they had a Wix 33617 on the shelf so I did the swap right there and then. I am happy to say that I was able to finish moments before the rain started and I didn't get soaked.

Some info the Wix filter did not come with the water sensor O-ring but we were able to find the right size in a set they had. So at the moment no fuel leaking. I'm sure that will change as the new weak link exposes itself. Oh well it's good for now.:thumbsup: