Wheel bearing issue?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOT trying to hijack this thread, .... the sound lessens with a slight left turn of the wheels, and louder when turning right as far as i can tell. just hoping someone on here can give me an idea on what to look for. im on base housing in the military so i cant work on the truck unless i take it to the auto shop on base. but i cant take it there and leave it torn apart so im in a bind. haha just hoping for some light shedding from you pro's!!

First Welcome to Oil Burners, and nope not hijacking the thread...

Ok that turn to left quieter and right louder would give some indication it's a bearing likely in the LH front wheel as the load increasing turning right, with weight transfer etc and lessens turning left...

So get the truck manual be it Chilton or Haynes, I have both, as they each have the same information but sometimes there is little differences or better diagrams or written procedures.

As I posted how to do the bearing change, just get the manual and follow that, if you feel comfortable doing this procedure that I have outlined above and that you are competent to do it safely then go for it. If not get a base buddy who knows or is in the know to give you a hand, it shouldn't take more n about 1hr n 1/2 maybe 2hrs to do one side with all the tools on hand.

;SweetGood luck

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ apparently the single cabs dont have carrier bearings?

but anyway its been to cold to really do anything but work (b/c i have to) outside, noise seems like it went away but now sometimes when i turn the wheel left or right ill get a bit of resistance (i would say its at the 3 and 7o clock position). and on 2nd rotation of wheel it wont give resistance at those positions.....what do you guys think?

as of today i parked the truck (doesnt give enough heat to comfortably drive in -40C weather)

seizing kingpins??

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOT trying to hijack this thread, but i am new to the forum (not so computer savvy) and havent ever had an IDI. having some similiar noise from my front left "wheel bearing" (hopefully). constant sound while driving forward, noise gets louder with speed and seems like the "whump-whump-whump" speeds up as well and sounds like its vibrating the whole front left of the truck. never have replaced a wheel bearing or anything like it, still a young buck in many respects.
while driving slower speeds, the sound lessens with a slight left turn of the wheels, and louder when turning right as far as i can tell. just hoping someone on here can give me an idea on what to look for. im on base housing in the military so i cant work on the truck unless i take it to the auto shop on base. but i cant take it there and leave it torn apart so im in a bind. haha just hoping for some light shedding from you pro's!!

not a hijack were both after the same answers! and welcome theres tons of info on here (i was a member on here before i purchased my truck just b/c its a very knowledgeable forum for any diesel). i found/stumbled upon this link http://128.83.80.200/taco/axle.html pictures are worth 1000 words!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and riotwarrior it only makes the noise going straight but it hasnt made that same noise again...also the resistance in steering went away, maybe it was just cold weather? lol

i am going to inspect and pack bearings with grease (once it warms up) regardless tho

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and riotwarrior it only makes the noise going straight but it hasnt made that same noise again...also the resistance in steering went away, maybe it was just cold weather? lol

i am going to inspect and pack bearings with grease (once it warms up) regardless tho

Good idea, preventative maintenance....and allows you to inspect for wear etc.

Russ had a thought and ya king pins, though both you and the other fellow have chicken wing TTB front ends it's ball joints, King pins on Dana 60's only and some of the newer ones have ball joints 92 up IIRC is the cutoff from king - ball joints...

Another thing are your hubs locked in? If so and a u joint is starting to seize, it may not make noise in straigt line but when turning the ujoint may be binding and suddenly just release and be ok but not ok in a good way....It would still likely need to be replaced...so those are worth checking too guys..

Thanks for the link for the pics, pretty much what I said and ya makes sense when you see it!;Sweet

With so many different interacting parts, it really is start at one point and continue through each one till you find the issue then fix/repair it.

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
gdhillon/riot, appreciate the help and definitely liking the pics. much easier that way to understand. im a hands on learner/visual. words only get me so far if im not at least slightly familiar with the issue. im going to have to go ahead and try fixing this issue soon. might as well do the front brakes while im down there. haha

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
are parts relatively cheap for this? what exactly do i need to get (lets say i need to replace the wheel bearing, say its blown) what am i looking at for relative cost? ill do it myself :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are parts relatively cheap for this? what exactly do i need to get (lets say i need to replace the wheel bearing, say its blown) what am i looking at for relative cost? ill do it myself :D

:yell:FIRST GET A CHILTON OR HAYNES MANUAL FOR YOUR TRUCK....:yell:IT'S PRETTY MUCH IMPERATIVE TO HAVE ON HAND!:backoff:backoff

I really cannot say, I'm in Canada land of the expensive *****! so no clue,

if your doing one bad bearing cause one inside a hub is bad..do both inner and outer bearings at the same time. It's just more sensible to do both inner and outer bearings and races, along with new seals for each side when your in that far...!;Sweet