whats up with fuel leaking out of this little rectangular connector

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crazy
I'd read something elsewhere about pre heated fuel burning more efficiently. Now I gotta go investigate that end all over again.

mean time I'll just remove it and plug it. Save the pieces in case I have trouble with it later.

cheers
B

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to sound bad, or start an argument.......... but

What is that little thing going to do? That is a tiny heater..... not sure how much it will "heat" besides where the filter and IP sit, after the engine gets warm, I would think the fuel would be heated because of the hot parts.....

I know on my truck, the 03 Excursion 6.0 PSD, the Fuel Heater is in the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module - Primary Filter, Water Seperator, Lift Pump, WIF Warning Light, and Fuel Heater) on the framerail..... mine is unhooked, and has been for sometime.... in the later HFCMs IH/Ford removed the heater from them entirely and did not replace it with anything..... again, on the 6.0, the Secondary Filter is in the Valley of the engine, and the fuel supply rails are cast into the head, so I would say that fuel is heated also..... just my $.03 worth.....

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would venture to say it has nothing to do with fuel economy, fuel coolers are there for an economy reason.

I'd guess the filter heaters are more for cold climates to prevent fuel waxing.

Howz that for creating more controversy? :sly

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
I would be inclined to agree with you. Although the heater would just prevent the gellin of the fuel in the filter housing and do nothing for the fuel in the lines. I will keep mine in working order just on the off chance Oklahoma gets hit with another record setting blizzard.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be inclined to agree with you. Although the heater would just prevent the gellin of the fuel in the filter housing and do nothing for the fuel in the lines. I will keep mine in working order just on the off chance Oklahoma gets hit with another record setting blizzard.

Abso-stinkin'-lutely!

However, is it easier to heat up a large quantity of fuel than to scoop it out, or is it easier to heat up a fuel line with say the block heater and filter heater in proximity in cold wx.

Of course this wouldn't really help the rail lines either.

I'm still arguing for heating cold fuel in cold wx to help the glow plugs fire off the fuel.

Fuel coolers are installed to provide denser fuel to cylinders which equates to more BTU's at ignition, which makes for a hotter, cleaner burn and better economy. Also, when diesel fuel gets hot, it loses its viscosity or ability to lube the moving parts it's supposed to lube up.

This is especially true in high performance diesel engines.... not rattle clackers like ours...although still beneficial.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just in from my day and not had a chance to read up on any but these coments here about pre-heating fuels but I'd like to here some of you folks thoughts on atomization. Denser fuel isn't going to atomize as well as warmer less dense fuel. Does that effect combustion?

no idea which way I'm leaning at this point but I'm getting rid of the heater, keeping the parts, and plugging the whole this weekend. That way its one less thing I have to worry about leaking. The whole that thing goes into. I haven't taken it apart but none of the pictures I've seen so far indicate if the whole is threaded or not, kinda looks like its not, so I'd have to get a rather funky plug for it.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just in from my day and not had a chance to read up on any but these coments here about pre-heating fuels but I'd like to here some of you folks thoughts on atomization. Denser fuel isn't going to atomize as well as warmer less dense fuel. Does that effect combustion?

no idea which way I'm leaning at this point but I'm getting rid of the heater, keeping the parts, and plugging the whole this weekend. That way its one less thing I have to worry about leaking. The whole that thing goes into. I haven't taken it apart but none of the pictures I've seen so far indicate if the whole is threaded or not, kinda looks like its not, so I'd have to get a rather funky plug for it.

Absolutely true too!

We're discussing extremes in one aspect.

However, fuel that is too hot, will ruin performance and parts.

Once you've been running for awhile, your fuel tank supply will heat up dramatically, so no need for a filter heater. Also, if heat was so good, why not run it through the tranny or over/through an exhaust line.... now there's one hot system.

Hot fuel is not good, neither is cold fuel, but cooler fuel gives higher mileage and better performance.

For start ups, a filter heater would provide a higher temp fuel relative to ambient temperature as well as atomize better.

But a question for you.... if the fuel is too hot...could atomization be affected negatively? That is deliver less BTU's because the fuel is lighter.... or should I say less dense? Does the fuel heater stay on all the time? If it does, won't this over-heated fuel on a hot day reduce performance as well as reduce lubricity for critical parts such as IP? Or is the IP so sloppy in our systems that it doesn't matter?

I don't know the answer to optimal fuel temp for a diesel engine, however, it has to be different for different engines, like electronic v. mechanical v. old v. newer v. compression v. a whole lotta parameters.

Fuel oil coolers are generally installed post injection, fuel lubrication needs, but before the fuel tank.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that was classic
I replaced the o ring and thats not it. Its leaking out of the top of the heating element where the electrical connector attaches. Perfect. so if RTV sealant slathered all over it and screw if the heater works or not doesn't do it then maybe third try's a charm. And I'll grind the **** out of a bolt and see if I can't find a flat rubber washer to seal it with.

what a pain in the ass.

I've got the stupidest little **** holding up the whole show at this point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726