what's next? what am I forgetting?!

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
OK, according to the D60 bible materials on Pirate, the inner spindle nut (the one that preloads the bearings) should be brought up to 50 lb-ft then backed off 1/4 turn. After installing the funky locking washer, the outer nut is torqued to 50-70 lb-ft. That nut does NOT get backed off 1/4 turn like he inner one, just torque it up and leave it there.

How do the U-joints look on that thing? I mean the big ones inside the knuckles, are they any good? Now would be a good time to replace them, if they're so-so and the customer is reluctant to go for it explain to them that when the U-joints do let go to get to them the whole mess you're working on now will have to be disassembled again (sans splitting the rotors from the wheel hubs). And that they will pay for said disassembly once again. Cause, you know, that counts for at least 1/4 of the time the labor guide gives for the job.

Inner lock nut is 50 ft-lb while rotating disc to seat the bearing, back off, tighten to 38 ft-lb, then back off 90 degrees. Outer lock nut is 160-200 ft-lb.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, great, I stand corrected then - I was wondering why I had to reef on the outers to get them loose, as 50 lb-ft seemed too low to need such effort. Well your numbers certainly explain that. Do you know, does it matter if bearings are new or used? Like, when doing pinion bearings, the preload for new bearings is almost 3 times higher than that for used bearings bearings. Granted there you're using a bar wrench to measure the rotational torque, but even so the higher rotational torque is a direct result of higher bearings preload. Any such thing with the D60 wheel bearings?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torch worked like a charm, thank you! All ready to go back together, waiting on proper 4 prong socket so we can torque them up

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Old and new should be the same. This is from the Ford factory service manual. I know on the rear axle bearings there is a different spec for old bearings vs new bearings.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure glad this is going together nicely for you but.. We need pics of the little one. Put down the tools and post up some qute pics right now... We need to see how someone is growing up. Nothing better than a baby girl to buy pretty dresses for. Spoken for real life experiances..:angel::thumbsup: