What's needed to run idi on a test stand?

67-7THREE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare 7.3 that I wanna do a test run on a stand, what do I hookup to get running?

I know about starter and fuel, just don't know about glow plugs and IP.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
If its warm enough you don't need the GPs so 7 volts to the fuel shutoff would be all you need (just wear some earplugs its going to be LOUD)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12v to the starter, outboard fuel cell, 12v to the injection pump. hotwire the starter and a little ether to the intake and you are rocking and rolling. hearing protection a very good idea unless you have already hearing impaired.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
a hair dryer blowing in the intake for a few mins will work instead of wiring glowplugs or using ether

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a hair dryer blowing in the intake for a few mins will work instead of wiring glowplugs or using ether
i don't own a hair dryer. if I was to borrow the one in the bathroom for lighting off a diesel, no amount of money in the world will pacify the wrath of the hair dryer owner.:eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above are correct but add this. The fuel return needs to be dumped into the fuel tank you decide to use for the supply. Please don't run an engine resting on the oil pan. The oil pump suction screen is only about 1/8 inch from the bottom of the pan and crushing it wil cause oil starvation issues. If you just have to rest the pan on the floor please drill a hole in a piece of wood about 3 inch diameter so the drain area of the pan can be properly supported. I used this method and supported both sides of the engine to the motor mounts with a 4x4 stud and the galvinazed brackets to keep them to the base. The home depot type.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't own a hair dryer. if I was to borrow the one in the bathroom for lighting off a diesel, no amount of money in the world will pacify the wrath of the hair dryer owner.:eek:

:rotflmao

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your NOT actually gonna run that engine on an engine stand without hanging it off a chain falls are ya? Let me know how much damage is done when you pick it up off the floor. Just don't stand along side of it.

gandalf

Reaction score

Yes!! Living in a house full of women can be dangerous, and hazardous to your health.LOL I can remember the time when I had three of them here. Now I'm down to just one.

I can just imagine your young lady saying, "Dad, where's my hair dryer?" Or maybe, "Dad, why is there grease on my hair dryer?":eek:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are all possitives.... it's grounded through the block I believe. Should be 3 wires. FSS, cold idle, and cold advance I believe. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i dont know if i would run a IDI on a engine stand.. maybe a engine cradle where its mounted on its engine mounts. or you better have a beefy engine stand