whats involved swapping an idi into a f350 gas truck

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a f350 reg cab auto with the 351 sitting here with a blown motor, truck is in immaculate shape, what would be involved putting the 7.3 diesel and trans into its engine compartment:dunno

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would depend on how **** you were. When I did mine, I swapped out the entire fuel system and all of the electrical.

Just to get the motor to sit on the frame, you're going to have remove the motor mounts on the frame. The right side unbolted but the left side was riveted, so I had to drill out 1/2" rivets. That sucked. The core support is another thing that needs to be swapped, unless you run the little radiator the gasser had, which I wouldn't do. You'll need to add the second battery tray which means you'll also need to swap out the washer juice container and coolant overflow.

I'm thinking the rear drive line is thicker as well, but I might be wrong.

If you really wanted to do it, I would suggest getting a donor truck and taking your time. It took me from Feb to June to do mine working on the weekends but I was also fixing things as I went.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are the rims 8 lug on the 351 gasser truck... If not you may need much more suspension and front end work....

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the gasser truck is a f350

not sure if I will really do it but just wanted to thing of all involved

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not hard if you have a truck to pull it from and if you want to do everything factory correct. Last time my cousin and I swapped one into an 83 it took about 8 hours start to finish, but we were hauling butt and had an identical 83 to swap from one to the other.

norfolkff05

Reaction score
...Last time my cousin and I swapped one into an 83 it took about 8 hours start to finish, but we were hauling butt and had an identical 83 to swap from one to the other.

hauling butt? understatement of the year! that is amazing fast. :hail its so impressive, that ill give you a personalized invitation to assist me when i do my bronco idi swap....you'll spend more time driving up here to VA then doing the swap!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. No impacts but we did have torches which sled up the removal of all the rusty crap. We also didn't pull the front clips. Relays were used to start the truck at first but the rest if the factory wiring was swaped in later.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me right at 2 weeks to swap the motor, tranny, core support, front suspension, rear axle, and fuel tanks working nights and weekends. It definitely goes quicker if you have a donor truck to rob all of the parts off of.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
If you do this remember to take your time with it and not throw everything together. You will be kicking yourself in the butt if you throw it all together.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i just did the swap. took me a weekend. I wanted to swap in the diesel radiator but i need to buy a diesel core support to use the diesel radiator. Its got the gas 351 heat buster radiator in it but it seems to be fine for everyday driving.

i swapped in the diesel tanks, fuel tank selector switch (had to wire in two relays to reverse polarity to retain stock switch) and used a spare 351 gas harness stripped and wired into the 6.9 engine harness (chassis side) so its plug and play. Do not have overheat light, just water temp. Also did not install 2nd battery on drivers side. Its in the truck bed with my inverter.

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
FYI, the wide/short (rectangular) diesel rad uses the normal (gas) core support. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online