What years are the cabs interchangable?

Kelleyj1837

Reaction score
I have a 90 f-250. The cab and doors are rotted. What years will the cabs interchange from? I want to say its 86-96

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the will interchange from 83-97, the beds are different throughout those years as are the front clips.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the will interchange from 83-97, the beds are different throughout those years as are the front clips.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can go all the way back to 1980...although you'd need to swap wiring harnesses if you used a cab from a g@$$er truck, and you'd also want to use the harness from the generation of truck the cab comes off of (there are significant differences between the '83-'86, '87-'91, and '92-'94 harnesses)...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"if" you want to make this a completable project, find a diesel cab 88-91 or the odds of a quick completion will be difficult to insurmountable.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"if" you want to make this a completable project, find a diesel cab 88-91 or the odds of a quick completion will be difficult to insurmountable.

Are you saying he could have a pickup like the car in the Johnny Cash song???

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67 '68, '69, '70 automobile.....

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
87-91 is what will interchange.
80-86 has different wiring as does 92-94 as does 95-97.
Also the holes for things like speedo cables dash mounts and brake pedals etc are all different.

Best bet stay close to the same year and its a easy swap.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
87 has a one year only wiring harness.
88-91 is plug-n-play.
anything else and you are in store for a serious adventure.
i've got the completed trucks but more importantly the scars to prove it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well lots of great info here..

There are physical differences in interior supports for pedals, steering and so on and wiriing differences between the years.

However physically the actual cabs are interchangable between 80-97 though as towcat and others have said swapping between years...can mean a world of hurt.

Best bet keep same model year as what you have.

If you are willing to do the work, anything can be done, in my personal experience it's always best not to have to do that work. KISS comes to mind Keep it Super Simple!

Good luck with whatever you choose, and please take lots of pics..

Oh and a cab swap...is not all that simple if you don't have the capability to lift it and so forth...sometimes cut/weld sheet metal is a better option, as you don't have issues with VIN #'s that way as well.

Hate to see problem due to VIN

JM2CW

Al

Kelleyj1837

Reaction score
its a standard cab. I picked up a 91 f-150 cab with no rust, good doors, good glass, and a nice interior. for $400 bucks. im just going to swap out the dash and wiring harness. I have nothing but time with this project.