What Vacuum pump?

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need a new vacuum pump. the last one I put in was a rebuild and lasted about 2 years. Is there a superior brand to go with? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a motorcraft one?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well the real question should be who rebuilt this and yes.. The Motorcraft pump will live much longer than what you just found out. Not to discredit other rebuilders but you get what you pay for most of the time. There really are some crappy rebuilders. BTW there is a plug in the back of the vacuum pump. Remove it and you can add oil. Many have saved their pumps by checking the oil in them. Some use STP. Others use other oils.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Well the real question should be who rebuilt this and yes.. The Motorcraft pump will live much longer than what you just found out. Not to discredit other rebuilders but you get what you pay for most of the time. There really are some crappy rebuilders. BTW there is a plug in the back of the vacuum pump. Remove it and you can add oil. Many have saved their pumps by checking the oil in them. Some use STP. Others use other oils.

I didnt know there was a plug. Neither did my BIL. He always complains about the cheap bearings in them and not being able to grease/oil them.

I think Im going to do an electric one when mine finally dies.

attachment.php

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Im going to do an electric one when mine finally dies.

If I am not mistaken, the electric pumps are only an option if you have upgraded to hydro-boost. They do not supply enough consistent vacuum to work with the stock vacuum power brakes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting bout the electric pump being used instead of the manual vacuum pump is valid. The electric pumps can't supply enough vacuum to safely operate our oem vacuum brakes. Now if and when you change to the hydroboost brakes you can then run an electric vacuum pump. All the vacuum needs will be the ac defroster vents and the cruise control....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a new vacuum pump on ebay, U-haul utechcenter. Gotta be a Motorcraft one.
This is the one you want if needed. $100 from U-haul.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-VA...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27d888cf90
Caution if buying this pump. It has a different suction line direction to it and its drilled and not threaded for mounting. Ask if they have a drilled and threaded mount type for the idi with the V belt set up. With some modifications we can run the V belt vacuum pump on the serpentine belt set up by drilling out the threads in the mount. I did just that when I changed to run the serpentine belt on my 89 engine. Just added some extra vacuum hose to reach the system. BTW this vacuum pump is designed for the powerstroke engines but we too can use it. Just can't make it work on the v belt trucks or vans. but please call the seller. See if they have what you want or need. Dave has really helped many of us that purchased items from uhaul and found issues. They always made it right.