What up upgrades can I use from a 7.3 for my 6.9 build?

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just making a list of parts for my spare 6.9 sitting in my shop. What upgrades can I order for a stronger setup over stock 6.9 parts?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kind of a vague post.
what do you have?
how much cash ya got?
what is the purpose of this truck/van?

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah sorry, let me rephrase. I know the 7.3 has some stronger internals over the 6.9, I just cant find what they were in the search bar. I believe Gary explained it once, but that was before I had a complete 6.9 sitting in my shop so it went over my head.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No difference in internals. turbo wrist pins are the only difference in factory turbo engines.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockers maybe
Yep, I found the info I needed. The rockers and the cam they ride on is a much better design and gets rid of the old 6.9 aluminum bridges. Maybe the pushrods also but they are getting replaced anyway and I dont think you can buy the old ones any more. Thanks guys. If you can think of anything else I'd love to hear it. I'd hate to put this block together with original stuff if somethimg better exists.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is the 6.9? Thats important, the 83 and 84 IIRC, had a weak front and freeze plug hole where the block heater fit. The 85 casting and up, was beefed up, a lot stronger in those areas.
Money money money, bore it out and sleeve it to a 7.3, forged rods, Mahle de-compression pistons, add a turbo.:D

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the 6.9? Thats important, the 83 and 84 IIRC, had a weak front and freeze plug hole where the block heater fit. The 85 casting and up, was beefed up, a lot stronger in those areas.
Money money money, bore it out and sleeve it to a 7.3, forged rods, Mahle de-compression pistons, add a turbo.:D

The block is a late 85'. Im on the fence about boring and sleeving, I like the thought of more steel around the pistons. But forged rods? Hmmm.... who makes them?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really most every part of any idi fits all the idi engines. Bout the only items changed were the turbo rods because of the wrist pin being larger. Otherwise the rods are all the same. Some have attempted to say the rods are NOT forged but I believe they are so I live by that. The cam is the same in all engines too be it turbo or not. The rockers have changed and thats for the better. The oil cooler now is only available in the turbo style with more fins. All the valves are the same till the turbo came out. Then the exhaust were made from Inconel material. Otherwise you can use a 6.9 valve in a 7.3. Oil pumps stayed the same. On the 7.3 engines the factory closed up some cooling ports but left them open on the 6.9.. Now ral idea why except for emissions requirement for the date. We can run the 6.9 head gaskets on the 7.3 if we open up the cooling plugged ports. Both Mel and I felt this will cool down the 7.3 when towing. Some members have tried this. I personally bought both 6.9 & 7.3 head gaskets and compared them. They are drilled the same and the fir rings are the same so the 6.9 fits the 7.3 with no issues but you will need to open up the ports that are plugged as I posted. Might want to use ARP studs is either the 6.9 or the 7.3 too.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. My goal is to build up the 6.9 but I dont want to use the original parts if they are inferior to what else is available or what was improved for the 7.3. Most builds I read are posted pipe dreams so im gathering info and parts overtime until my build is realistic. My current setup is an 86' CC 72k original miles from the original owner. I've since put a turbo, exhaust and intercooler on, and if I go any further it will be on the spare 6.9 sitting in my shop. That way I can go nuts over time and make the swap when I'm ready;Sweet

Attachments

• 20141214_152553-0.jpg
    20141214_152553-0.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 36

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The later 6.9 and the 7.3 had bolt in piston cooling nozzles. The early 6.9 had press in nozzles and required a template to reinstall properly. I am not sure if they can even be reused. Check your block serial# on the top drivers side behind the IP gear cover. If any boring or honing is done the cooling nozzles will need to be removed. Nice looking truck. Those CC slantnose are a pretty rare breed with 4X4 and SRW.

Attachments

• Image (7).jpg
    Image (7).jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 27

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, its a late 85' block. The nozzles are bolt on, I've been looking for one actually due to one of them being broken. Anyone know where to purchase piston cooling nozzles? Also been looking for precups, 2 of them are chipped, but I think those are extinct.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-9-rebuild-refresh-advice-and-questions/page9

I am currently driving the truck from this tread. There's a lot of fluff in there from me starting with absolutely zero knowledge, but still, might help.

Other than rockers, people mentioned to me that a later camshaft was balanced. Considering the wear I found on my cam bearings compared to the rest, I believe mine is not balanced. If I were to do it again I would buy a cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
typ4 (post #4) sells a cam that is an upgrade from stock. Power band is at lower rpm. R&D sell a couple of different grinds also. http://idiperformance.com/
The upgraded cam gear doesn't have the two threaded holes for pulling it off. You need to use a 3 jaw puller. The upgraded gear has a cast lug on the back that balances out the fuel pump lobe.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the early cam gear, looks like I'll be looking for a balanced one. Im headed to justins shop later today, I'll be taking my cam with me. I think I read somewhere about about balancing the crank as well.