What trucks came with dana 60 front and rear stock?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have positively ID'd that both my axles are dana 60 but now I need to tell the parts counter the make and model to get parts but dont know what to tell em. There are not stock to my truck.

I am going to do the brakes and bearings on the rear this weekend.

Any tips?

I know I need a 2 9/16 socket

I really hate doing drum brakes:puke:

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drum brakes aren't so bad if you keep track of everything and even have a few tools to help out. I don't really know anything about the dana 60 rear. This is your 84 in your sig? I don't know what year they went to the 10.25 rear. Its possible that if you have a d60 front that someone before you has swapped axles? I think alot of the older trucks had d60 rear axles. I would check out car-part.com and try looking up starting with 80 and see if the descriptions of axles for sale say what axle it is and that might give you an idea of what year they come stock.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 84 came from the factory with a Dana 60 rear. They only came behind gassers, diesels had Dana 70's.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
86 is when the swap to the sterling happened. i would say the rear is stock for a 350 gasser of your year. front is from 86 up.

if possible, swap the rear to the sterling. no more inboard drums. no need to take the hub apart.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
86 is when the swap to the sterling happened. i would say the rear is stock for a 350 gasser of your year. front is from 86 up.

if possible, swap the rear to the sterling. no more inboard drums. no need to take the hub apart.

And stronger. with more parts available

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And stronger. with more parts available

I'd argue that 'stronger' part. 10.25's are notorious for pinion problems and that crush sleeve deal. Never seen a Dana that had a problem of any sort. However, the conveinence of removable drums does tend to erase much consideration of that issue.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i think out of everyone here with their idi's, i put mine threw the most hell and never had an issue with my 10.25. people say the center section can rotate on the tubes, never had it happen. i still have everything stock in mine. spiders are welded, but other than that stock. just the fact of having removable drums makes it my choice.

all the wheeling, tug of wars, burnout contests and now sled pulling. never had an issue.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'd argue that 'stronger' part. 10.25's are notorious for pinion problems and that crush sleeve deal. Never seen a Dana that had a problem of any sort. However, the conveinence of removable drums does tend to erase much consideration of that issue.

You are right Mel. but they make a ship kit to do away with the crush coller

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run 44" military tires for awhile on a stock 10.25 axle and I always had people tease me about twisting the pinion, etc. on the axle. I didn't run it real hard or anything but I never had a problem. I later went to a dana 135, thats one beefy axle! I had some rockwells but that dana 135 makes a rockwell look inferior. It had around 2" axle shafts, disc brakes. Just one heavy axle. I love the sterling axle though, its a great combination between weight and strength. I have never been around rear 60's so I don't have anything to compare to.

Reaction score
I was reading up on the sterling axles on pirate, and they seem to be damn strong. Many people use them on rock crawler rigs, and say they are as strong or stronger than a dana 70 rear

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Reider Racing has em, i just cant find the part number. It is the same for 7.5, 8.8, 9, and 10.25 axles