What to do with an 88 F150?

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need some advice. I have an 88 F150 5.0l 5 speed 4x4 that is in so so physical shape. I have replaced dang near every sensor in the motor, fuel pumps, injectors, and a ton of other stuff. Months ago I started it up to a nice upper motor slapping noise. Tore into it to find a collapsed lifter and thats were she sits now. Torn apart with all the parts to put it back together. My dilema is the wife wants it gone as in yesterday since I now have the f350. My question is should I fix it one last time and sell it or are there enough pieces that interchange that I can cannabalize it and the sell off whats left. Right now the F350 could use a steering box and the F150's is in decent shape. I also wondered how much of the F150's stuff I could steal for a auto to manual swap with the F350. I had even thought about maybe IDI the F150 but its still only a standard cab and that leaves the wife riding in the bed (though might not be a bad thing :rotflmao) and still leaves it taking up space. Any thoughts?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
...that leaves the wife riding in the bed (though might not be a bad thing :rotflmao) ... Any thoughts?

Umm, Thoughts, how about damn funny?

Either fix and sell, or pull the parts that will interchange; pedal assembly, ody parts, transfer case, I do believe the steering box is the same, steering pump, ect.

P.S. There is a lot of copper in a pickup.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Fix and sell, won't take ya but a day to finish up. Throw it up for sale, collect the coin, drop some of that new found cash into your current ride and the rest for bills or whatever....

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give me your address and I'll take her off of your hands. Problem solved! :D

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to truggie it out but I already have 5 vehicles at the house. So just about everything could be used as a spare for the f350? I plan on doing an auto to manual swap down the line and if stealing everything cept the trans from this truck would work then I might just cannabalize the truck and then scrap whats left. If not I'll slap it back together. Thing that sucks is I might get $1500 for it and I have way more then that in just recent parts. Guess its what happens when I let the must fix it attitude override commen sense.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the body's in decent shape, you could always take it up to the Rust Belt and sell it.

Beyond that, you can use the pedals, clutch hydraulics, steering gearbox, most of the interior, and (for the trans swap) possibly the crossmember and floor pan insert. I don't know how difficult/expensive it is to source those parts where you are...is it worth losing out on the sale of the truck?

More importantly, what does SWMBO have to say about the idea of parting the truck out? LOL

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ol lady just wants it gone. She told me she didnt care if I gave the thing away just get it out of the driveway. As for sourcing parts around here its a major pain. No pick and pulls and everyone else thinks everything is plated in gold. If I can use that much of the truck for the swap then I think I might just strip it and store what I can in the garage. I was eyeballing the bed to convert my LB dually to a short bed but that would be a major pain to store till I was ready. Anyone need a gasser 5 speed or a 9in rear end?

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah alot ofthe parts are interchangeable as long as your f350 is older than 1997

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online